Aug 6, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
I said earlier that anger at athletes comes from them being put on pedestals. Maybe some part of it is also about media entitlement. Here’s Ian O’Connor of ESPN New York talking about Alex Rodriguez‘s press conference before yesterday’s Yankees-White Sox game:
Rodriguez wouldn’t even deny baseball’s findings of PED use in a news conference held before he batted cleanup at U.S. Cellular Field. Given more than one opportunity to state that he is and was clean, A-Rod would only say: “I think we’ll have a forum to discuss all of that and we’ll talk about it then.”
As if the proper forum wasn’t right then and there, facing the cameras after MLB rocked his world.
Yes, clearly, it’s far more important for him to go on record with the cameras and reporters than it is to do so at an upcoming binding arbitration which holds his career and tens of millions of dollars in the balance. It’s critical that O’Connor get a chance to hear A-Rod say something that O’Connor is 100% unwilling to believe no matter what it is than it is to keep from saying things in public that could later be used against him during his appeal.
Do people hear themselves with this stuff? Do they actually believe it?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 34
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)