Aug 6, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
I said earlier that anger at athletes comes from them being put on pedestals. Maybe some part of it is also about media entitlement. Here’s Ian O’Connor of ESPN New York talking about Alex Rodriguez‘s press conference before yesterday’s Yankees-White Sox game:
Rodriguez wouldn’t even deny baseball’s findings of PED use in a news conference held before he batted cleanup at U.S. Cellular Field. Given more than one opportunity to state that he is and was clean, A-Rod would only say: “I think we’ll have a forum to discuss all of that and we’ll talk about it then.”
As if the proper forum wasn’t right then and there, facing the cameras after MLB rocked his world.
Yes, clearly, it’s far more important for him to go on record with the cameras and reporters than it is to do so at an upcoming binding arbitration which holds his career and tens of millions of dollars in the balance. It’s critical that O’Connor get a chance to hear A-Rod say something that O’Connor is 100% unwilling to believe no matter what it is than it is to keep from saying things in public that could later be used against him during his appeal.
Do people hear themselves with this stuff? Do they actually believe it?
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)