Aug 6, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
I said earlier that anger at athletes comes from them being put on pedestals. Maybe some part of it is also about media entitlement. Here’s Ian O’Connor of ESPN New York talking about Alex Rodriguez‘s press conference before yesterday’s Yankees-White Sox game:
Rodriguez wouldn’t even deny baseball’s findings of PED use in a news conference held before he batted cleanup at U.S. Cellular Field. Given more than one opportunity to state that he is and was clean, A-Rod would only say: “I think we’ll have a forum to discuss all of that and we’ll talk about it then.”
As if the proper forum wasn’t right then and there, facing the cameras after MLB rocked his world.
Yes, clearly, it’s far more important for him to go on record with the cameras and reporters than it is to do so at an upcoming binding arbitration which holds his career and tens of millions of dollars in the balance. It’s critical that O’Connor get a chance to hear A-Rod say something that O’Connor is 100% unwilling to believe no matter what it is than it is to keep from saying things in public that could later be used against him during his appeal.
Do people hear themselves with this stuff? Do they actually believe it?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 36
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)