Aug 6, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that the Indians have placed Corey Kluber on the 15-day disabled list with a sprain of his right middle finger. Matt Langwell, a reliever, was recalled in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Kluber has quietly been one of the best starting pitchers in the major leagues this season, boasting a 3.54 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 116/26 K/BB ratio in 122 innings. He shut out a dangerous Tigers offense for 7 1/3 frames on Monday but must have suffered the sprained finger at some point during that outing.
This all comes with bad timing for the Indians, who are trying to chase down the Tigers in the American League Central standings and being tailed by the red-hot Royals. It’s not certain how long Kluber will be out.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 55
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)