Aug 6, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that the Indians have placed Corey Kluber on the 15-day disabled list with a sprain of his right middle finger. Matt Langwell, a reliever, was recalled in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Kluber has quietly been one of the best starting pitchers in the major leagues this season, boasting a 3.54 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 116/26 K/BB ratio in 122 innings. He shut out a dangerous Tigers offense for 7 1/3 frames on Monday but must have suffered the sprained finger at some point during that outing.
This all comes with bad timing for the Indians, who are trying to chase down the Tigers in the American League Central standings and being tailed by the red-hot Royals. It’s not certain how long Kluber will be out.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)