Aug 6, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that the Indians have placed Corey Kluber on the 15-day disabled list with a sprain of his right middle finger. Matt Langwell, a reliever, was recalled in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Kluber has quietly been one of the best starting pitchers in the major leagues this season, boasting a 3.54 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 116/26 K/BB ratio in 122 innings. He shut out a dangerous Tigers offense for 7 1/3 frames on Monday but must have suffered the sprained finger at some point during that outing.
This all comes with bad timing for the Indians, who are trying to chase down the Tigers in the American League Central standings and being tailed by the red-hot Royals. It’s not certain how long Kluber will be out.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 1
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 56
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (160)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)