Aug 6, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that the Indians have placed Corey Kluber on the 15-day disabled list with a sprain of his right middle finger. Matt Langwell, a reliever, was recalled in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Kluber has quietly been one of the best starting pitchers in the major leagues this season, boasting a 3.54 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 116/26 K/BB ratio in 122 innings. He shut out a dangerous Tigers offense for 7 1/3 frames on Monday but must have suffered the sprained finger at some point during that outing.
This all comes with bad timing for the Indians, who are trying to chase down the Tigers in the American League Central standings and being tailed by the red-hot Royals. It’s not certain how long Kluber will be out.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 56
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 1
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 131
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (131)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)