Aug 6, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Braves outfielder Jason Heyward was removed in the first inning of Tuesday’s game against the Nationals with a strained muscle in his neck.
Heyward appeared to tweak something on a swing during his at-bat in the top of the first inning and was replaced in the outfield in the bottom of that frame by Evan Gattis. The Braves are calling Heyward day-to-day for now and will reexamine him on Wednesday.
The 23-year-old right fielder spent time on the disabled list in April and May after undergoing an appendectomy. He also missed some games just before the All-Star break with a hamstring strain.
Heyward is hitting .234/.339/.386 with 10 home runs and 31 RBI in 83 games this season for the Braves, who grew their lead in the National League East standings to 14 1/2 games with Tuesday’s win over Washington.
It was the 12th victory in a row for this 69-45 Atlanta team.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)