Aug 6, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
Peter Gammons spoke to Jonny Gomes:
Calling PED users “selfish,” Jonny Gones on MLBPA’s ARod defense:”I hope our dues aren’t being used for his lawyers’ fees”
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) August 6, 2013
I wonder how Gomes felt about a union defense when he was suspended in 2008 for jumping on Coco Crisp during a benches-clearing brawl, threw several haymakers and ended up getting suspended for five games? I wonder if Coco Crisp offered his opinions about his union dues being used to defend Gomes. I also wonder if Gomes thought about his union when he signed any of the four free agent contracts he has entered into in his career.
Your union is your union, Jonny. You’re in it for everything it entails, not just the stuff that benefits you. Of course, even if you hate A-Rod and his cheating, if his defense creates some precedent which keeps the league from, say, suspending you for 50 games the next time you jump on a pile, he is doing you a bit of a solid, OK?
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)