Aug 6, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
Peter Gammons spoke to Jonny Gomes:
Calling PED users “selfish,” Jonny Gones on MLBPA’s ARod defense:”I hope our dues aren’t being used for his lawyers’ fees”
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) August 6, 2013
I wonder how Gomes felt about a union defense when he was suspended in 2008 for jumping on Coco Crisp during a benches-clearing brawl, threw several haymakers and ended up getting suspended for five games? I wonder if Coco Crisp offered his opinions about his union dues being used to defend Gomes. I also wonder if Gomes thought about his union when he signed any of the four free agent contracts he has entered into in his career.
Your union is your union, Jonny. You’re in it for everything it entails, not just the stuff that benefits you. Of course, even if you hate A-Rod and his cheating, if his defense creates some precedent which keeps the league from, say, suspending you for 50 games the next time you jump on a pile, he is doing you a bit of a solid, OK?
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 39
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (115)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)