Aug 6, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
Peter Gammons spoke to Jonny Gomes:
Calling PED users “selfish,” Jonny Gones on MLBPA’s ARod defense:”I hope our dues aren’t being used for his lawyers’ fees”
— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) August 6, 2013
I wonder how Gomes felt about a union defense when he was suspended in 2008 for jumping on Coco Crisp during a benches-clearing brawl, threw several haymakers and ended up getting suspended for five games? I wonder if Coco Crisp offered his opinions about his union dues being used to defend Gomes. I also wonder if Gomes thought about his union when he signed any of the four free agent contracts he has entered into in his career.
Your union is your union, Jonny. You’re in it for everything it entails, not just the stuff that benefits you. Of course, even if you hate A-Rod and his cheating, if his defense creates some precedent which keeps the league from, say, suspending you for 50 games the next time you jump on a pile, he is doing you a bit of a solid, OK?
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)