Aug 6, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Magglio Ordonez, a six-time Major League Baseball All-Star with the Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers, will run for mayor of a Venezuelan oil town in the socialist party of the late President Hugo Chavez.
“We invite our major leaguer, Magglio Ordonez, to hit a grand slam in Puerto La Cruz,” Chavez’s successor, President Nicolas Maduro, announced on state television yesterday.
I remember the stuff about Ordonez being a Chavez supporter. I want to say I also remember other Venezuelan ballplayers being irked at him over that, but maybe I’m imagining it.
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 0
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 254
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (254)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)