Aug 6, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Jason Bay went unclaimed on waivers after being designated for assignment last week and the Mariners released him.
Bay didn’t play well overall for Seattle, hitting .204 with 62 strikeouts in 206 at-bats, but he also homered 11 times and may still be able to help some teams as a platoon player against left-handed pitching.
At age 35 it’s pretty safe to say he’s finished as a regular, however, because Bay has hit a combined .229 with a .688 OPS and 320 strikeouts in 356 games since 2010.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)