Aug 6, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Bobby Parnell has been one of the few bright spots for the Mets this season, saving 22 games with a 2.16 ERA in his first full year as closer, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with a herniated disc in his neck.
Parnell hadn’t pitched since July 30 and Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he got an anti-inflammatory injection yesterday. David Aardsma has the most closing experience among potential fill-ins, although the bullpen also includes veteran LaTroy Hawkins and the Mets might go to a closer-by-committee approach initially.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)