Aug 6, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
Bobby Parnell has been one of the few bright spots for the Mets this season, saving 22 games with a 2.16 ERA in his first full year as closer, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with a herniated disc in his neck.
Parnell hadn’t pitched since July 30 and Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he got an anti-inflammatory injection yesterday. David Aardsma has the most closing experience among potential fill-ins, although the bullpen also includes veteran LaTroy Hawkins and the Mets might go to a closer-by-committee approach initially.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)