Aug 6, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Bobby Parnell has been one of the few bright spots for the Mets this season, saving 22 games with a 2.16 ERA in his first full year as closer, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with a herniated disc in his neck.
Parnell hadn’t pitched since July 30 and Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that he got an anti-inflammatory injection yesterday. David Aardsma has the most closing experience among potential fill-ins, although the bullpen also includes veteran LaTroy Hawkins and the Mets might go to a closer-by-committee approach initially.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)