Outraged at A-Rod? Take a look in the mirror, friend

Aug 6, 2013, 7:27 AM EDT

Image (1) alex_rodriguez.jpg for post 5479

Every time something like the A-Rod mess goes down there is a parade of outrage. From fans, from columnists, from talk radio hosts. You know what I’m talking about. Here’s a great, nearly-incoherent example from Scott Miller of CBS Sports.com. You’re going to have to bring your A-game if you want to out-outrage Miller. He calls A-Rod sub-human. For starters. Unless he’s merely putting on faux outrage for the page views, Miller is truly upset here and that anger is coming from someplace deep down inside. For what it’s worth, he has never struck me as someone who fakes things for page views.

I used to sit back for hours and mock this kind of sentiment but I’m not all that inclined to do that as much as I used to. Instead I’m more interested in trying to understand it. Because really, I have a tremendously difficult time understanding where such ire and vitriol at some nearly total stranger of an athlete comes from.

Here’s where I am right now: It’s not a matter of new school vs. old school. It’s not a matter of smart vs. not-so-smart. It’s simply a matter of there being two kinds of sports fans: those who hold players to a higher moral standard than people in general, and those who don’t. That’s it.

If you think of ballplayers as heroes or examples or believe that they are somehow obligated to be better than every other schlub on the planet — or if you were taught to think that as a child and still hold on to some of that whether you realize it or not — you’re outraged. If, on the other hand, you didn’t — if you saw them from even the youngest age as just people who are good at something weird and interesting and immensely entertaining — you can’t be outraged. Outrage makes no sense.

I certainly fall in that latter camp. I liked sports just as much as the next kid growing up and certainly love baseball now, but never in my life did I think of athletes as heroes or role models. Maybe that’s because I wasn’t handed baseball by my father or some other person I did look up to. It was introduced to me in a couple of places and I grabbed hold, but sports were not and are not any part of the lingua franca of my relationship with my parents or elders. At least not in such a way where anyone whose opinion I valued ever said to me, in effect, “look at that star athlete, my what a fine example he is.” In turn, to the extent my kids have gotten into sports I’ve never said such things to them, either literally or implicitly via the way I talk about or interact with athletes.

I realize I may be in the minority in this respect. Very recently I had a fairly spirited dispute with another baseball writer about these issues and — after we threw barbs at each other for a bit — we dug into the matter more. It seems he comes at things from a slightly different place. He has children who are really getting into baseball now. They have thrown themselves into it with abandon, to the point where they do get legitimately upset  when things go bad for players they like and uplifted when things go well. It’s probably a fantastic ride for them and I would guess that my counterpart’s bonding over sports with his children is on a totally different level than mine is. But, at the same time, it does require some veneration of the athlete to make it work, doesn’t it? And, in turn, if the athlete does not live up to the ideal, it almost necessitates some negative emotional response. The sort of which we see in these outraged sentiments from fans, the media, whoever. I’ve seen if from my counterpart recently, and it almost certainly has to come from some sense that these ballplayers are disappointing him or his children or both.

For my part, I can’t muster any of that. I don’t think A-Rod is subhuman simply because he lied and cheated. Indeed, that makes me think of him as quite human indeed, as human beings tend to act like that an awful lot. He’s only subhuman if you thought of him as something greater before.  Likewise, I can’t muster what is, in effect, “think of the children” rhetoric because neither me as a child nor my children now see these athletes as anyone special that need give us special consideration.  We love what they do when they are performing, but we don’t think of them as anyone who owes us special moral or ethical duties. That’s what parents and teachers and honest-to-goodness role models are for. Athletes are no different than actors or astronauts in this regard. People who do amazing things but whom we shouldn’t expect to be better people merely because of their station.

Does that mean that I don’t have opinions when an athlete falls short of some ideal? Of course not. It’s simply a matter of proportion. I can say, quite comfortably, when one of them does something bad that they have behaved poorly. Lied. Cheated. Broken the law. What have you. But I’m no more likely to get sent into an emotional tizzy over it than I am if I learned that some actor got busted for drugs or some singer slept around. I don’t approve, but I also let it go pretty quickly. I have my own moral and ethical life to worry about and that’s hard enough. Please just act/sing/play for my enjoyment, entertainer. I may critique your performance if you do it poorly, but the act is all I require of you personally. It’s different if one’s directly affected by the poor behavior in question — other players and teammates have a right to be truly angry if their personal trust or their livelihood was jeopardized by the A-Rods of the world — but I’ve not been harmed by them unless I let them harm me by giving them too much trust to begin with.

You may say that this is a sad viewpoint. That I’m a cynic. Some sort of disappointed, disaffected or jilted former idealist. I assure you I’m not. The thought of treating athletes as special people worthy and deserving of my trust and thus capable of breaking it has simply never been part of my life and never will be. Others, like Scott Miller and my correspondent of a couple of days ago come at it differently. Good for them, good for me.

With this framework in mind you can probably divide up all of the people who offer opinions on this stuff into those two camps pretty easily, actually. I can’t think of any other differences in understanding that better account for it.

Latest Posts
  1. Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple

Apr 20, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT

carlos gomez getty Getty Images

A pretty vicious brawl just went down at PNC Park after Carlos Gomez of the Brewers went into home run celebration mode after slugging a Gerrit Cole pitch to the top of the center field wall …

2. Twins claim outfielder Sam Fuld off waivers from A’s

Apr 20, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT

sam fuld getty Getty Images

As first relayed by FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Twins have claimed outfielder Sam Fuld off waivers from the A’s. Fuld was designated for assignment by Oakland last Saturday.

3. Cubs prospect Javier Baez back in action at AAA Iowa after missing one week with sore ankle

Apr 20, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

javier baez getty AP

MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat reports that Cubs top shortstop prospect Javier Baez is back in the lineup Sunday afternoon at Triple-A Iowa after missing a little over a week with soreness in his left ankle. He’ll serve as Iowa’s DH initially.

4. Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list

Apr 20, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT

mark teixeira getty Getty Images

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira is recovered from his Grade 1 right hamstring strain and is starting Sunday for the first time in over two weeks.

5. Tigers release shortstop Alex Gonzalez

Apr 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT

alex gonzalez getty Getty Images

The Tigers acquired Alex Gonzalez from the Orioles in late March after losing Jose Iglesias for the year and the veteran shortstop smacked a walkoff RBI single for Detroit on Opening Day. But he managed just three hits in 28 plate appearances after that and was officially released from the 25-man roster on Sunday.

6. Kyle Farnsworth, 38, takes over as Mets’ closer

Apr 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

kyle farnsworth getty Getty Images

Jose Valverde allowed three runs in an inning of work Saturday night against the Braves — the latest in a string of rough outings. So manager Terry Collins decided Sunday morning to make a change …

7. Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow

Apr 20, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT

ivan nova yankees getty Getty Images

Yankees starter Ivan Nova has been diagnosed with a partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow — an injury that almost always leads to Tommy John surgery.

8. Craig Kimbrel struggles in return from right shoulder issue, apologizes for reaction to being pulled

Apr 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

kimbrel getty Getty Images

Craig Kimbrel was called on Saturday for the first time since complaining of discomfort in his shoulder last Monday. The appearance did not go smoothly.

9. VIDEO: Albert Pujols slugs his 498th career home run

Apr 20, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT

albert pujols getty Getty Images

Watch as Angels first baseman Albert Pujols moved to within two home runs of the big 500-homer milestone on Saturday afternoon against Tigers closer Joe Nathan …

10. Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Apr 20, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT

mark buehrle getty Getty Images

Mark Buehrle pitched seven innings of shutout ball and Jose Reyes had an RBI single in his first game back from a hamstring strain as Toronto rolled to a 5-0 win over the Indians on Saturday afternoon in Cleveland. Buehrle yielded just four hits and is now 4-0 on the season with a 0.64 ERA in 28 innings.

11. Ike Davis solid in debut with Pirates

Apr 19, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT

Ike Davis Ike Davis

Ike Davis makes a good impression with his new team.

12. Evan Longoria becomes Rays franchise leader with 164th career home run

Apr 19, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

Evan Longoria climbs to the top of yet another Rays franchise leaderboard.

13. John Lannan accepts assignment to Triple-A Las Vegas

Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v New York Mets Cincinnati Reds v New York Mets

John Lannan will report to Triple-A Las Vegas after being outrighted on Wednesday by the Mets.

14. Chris Snyder retires, ending ten-year career

Apr 19, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT

Chris Snyder, Andres Torres Chris Snyder, Andres Torres

Veteran Chris Snyder hangs up the spikes, ending a ten-year stint in the big leagues.

15. Rangers place Jim Adduci on DL; promote top prospect Luis Sardinas

Apr 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Jim Adduci Jim Adduci

The Rangers lost Jim Adduci with a broken finger, but have called up one of their top prospects.

16. Gavin Floyd to make at least two more rehab starts

Apr 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Gavin Floyd Gavin Floyd

The Braves could get Gavin Floyd back in early May after he makes at least two more rehab starts.

17. Video: Camera guy falls following J.B. Shuck after he hit a lead-off homer

Apr 19, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

The camera guy made a faux pas during the first inning of Saturday’s Angels-Tigers game.

18. Dontrelle Willis considering becoming a pitching coach

Apr 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

With his playing career likely over, Dontrelle Willis is now considering becoming a pitching coach.

19. Mike Trout did something for the first time on Saturday

Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Mike Trout Mike Trout

Mike Trout attached his name to an ignominious feat on Saturday against the Tigers.

20. Manny Machado plays in first extended spring training game, nears official rehab stint

Apr 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Manny Machado AP AP

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado continues to make progress from knee surgery. He played five innings at third base and took four at-bats today in an extended spring training game.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5517)