Aug 6, 2013, 1:12 AM EDT
Could things be any better for the Royals right now?
– Their 13-0 win over the Twins on Monday was their most lopsided victory since they beat the Mariners 17-3 on July 3, 2007. It was the first time since May 16, 1987 that they scored at least 13 runs and shut out the opposition (they beat the Brewers 13-0 that day).
– Jeremy Guthrie pitched his second career shutout in the game. He went his first 187 career starts without ever pitching a shutout. Now he has two after picking up his first May 5 against the White Sox.
– The victory was the career-high 12th of Guthrie’s career. Pitching for poor Orioles teams, he never won more than 11 games previously.
– Eric Hosmer homered and drove in a career-high five runs in the game. He hadn’t even driven in four runs in the same game since July 2011. He hit one homer in his first 61 games of the season, and he’s hit 11 in 46 games since.
– Mike Moustakas collected four hits for just the second time in his career. He’s batting .322 with four homers and 11 RBI in 59 at-bats since the break, compared to .215 with six homers and 17 RBI in his 275 previous at-bats.
But to answer that original question, yes, things could be going better for the Royals right now, because while they’ve won 12 of their last 13 games, the first-place Tigers have won 13 of their last 14. The Royals are currently 7 1/2 games back of Detroit in the AL Central and four games behind the Rangers for the second wild card, with the Indians and Orioles also ahead of them.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)