The Mystery Man at Miller Park

Aug 6, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT

This thing has gone viral in the past several hours, but if you haven’t seen it it’s worth checking out.

It’s basically a missed connection from a Brewers game. A mother posts a thank you to the anonymous man at Miller Park who was wonderful to her son, getting him a baseball and basically being awesome:

As we shuffled out of the stadium, Isaiah wouldn’t stop talking about his very own Brewers baseball and how it was one of his “special treasures.”  It can be so easy to forget sometimes how small acts of kindness can have such a huge impact on our fellow humans.  Holding open a door, offering a seat on a bus or subway, paying for a stranger’s coffee.  All teeny little choices that can become a bright spot in an otherwise difficult day.

But you did more than that, sir.  You made my boy feel like a rockstar.  You didn’t have to.  You chose to.  And I am sincerely grateful to you for it.  When my wiped-out children were tucked into bed last night, I took a few minutes to thank God for you.  I asked that He bless you and draw near to you wherever you were.  I prayed that the Lord would encourage you and honor your kindness by bringing joy to your heart.

But I would still love to find out your name so I can send you a proper thank you note.  :)

Sincerely,
The Grateful Mother in Row 18

Check out her blog for the resolution. And for some suggestion about how internet commenters are the worst (but not you guys — no, you’re the best).

Coming to morning television near you pretty soon, I assume. Which I’m totally cool with because it’s nice to see people act decently to one another.

1. clarenceoveur - Aug 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Good thing she didn’t leave the kid with A-Rod, he would have transported him to an 1800′s Dickensian orphanage.

2. thomas844 - Aug 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

What an awesome young man. He really went out of his way to make those kids happy. I remember as a kid that getting a ball was my biggest goal at a ballgame. It was a goal I never reached until I was about 20 years old. I was happy to finally get a ball at an MLB game, but I couldn’t help but give it to the little boy with a longing look in his eyes, because I remember being the same way.

A lot of people don’t seem to realize that small gestures like that mean the world to kids, but this Brewers fan got it. Hats off to you, sir!

3. uwsptke - Aug 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

It’s nice to hear stories like this, rather than the ones we had to endure years ago about the “Happy Youngster” and other ballhawks at County Stadium/Miller Park who would terrorize those sitting in the bleachers in their quest to accumulate as many baseballs as possible. This kid will never forget the day he came home with a baseball from a major league ballpark.

4. muskyhunter2542 - Aug 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

In a doom and gloom down year for The Milwaukee Brewers. This is one hell of a bright spot!!!

5. heyblueyoustink - Aug 6, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Mystery Man: You rock, dude. Gave that kid a memory that will last forever.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Yes, I am the best.

7. 8man - Aug 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Myself and a few friends were at a matinee Nats game in 2012. A ball bounced right into the hands of the friend to my right. I think it took him two seconds to find a kid to give the ball to. It’s just what you do when you reach a certain age.

This biggest part of this story is the impact the act of kindness had on the family, the gratitude of the mom and the excitement felt by the boy who received the ball. Maybe some of those ball hawks, though a bit overzealous, want to give their kid the same experience. It’s just another one of those things that makes baseball a little different from the other sports.

• jarathen - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:10 AM

One of the things that will always make baseball the best is that they don’t put up nets to make sure no one gets a ball. The only net in place is there for safety (and almost always works). In football, the one time someone might get a ball, they draw up a net and hold onto it.

8. jm91rs - Aug 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM

There was a time when I would have been annoyed by a kid climbing all over me at a ball game. Growing up and having crazy kids of your own tends to change that. It sounds like this Mystery guy did a little growing up before most, Kudos to him! Kinda crazy that he would spend money on a ball of his own, but good for him.

9. bflbilsfan - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I am a “Golden Glover” @ Az Diamondbacks games, The looks on the kids faces when you give them a ball is priceless. This was a very nice thing this gentleman did .

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3785)