Aug 7, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution apparently couldn’t think up an original line of insight to the whole Biogenesis mess, so he decided to create an “all-steroids team.”
While it’s bad enough that this has been done countless times already, Schultz gets extra points for inanity for putting guys on there whether they have ever had credible allegations of PED use against them or not.
All players listed below have either been suspended for drugs; or admitted using them; or were listed on the Mitchell Report; or were fingered by Jose Canseco, another player or a trainer; or obviously took something stronger than Flintstone Chewables but excelled at not leaving a paper trail; or fall under the “I Think He Took Something But Can’t Be Certain” category (example: Jeff Bagwell).
Such a tack is bad enough at the best of times, but when the major PED news of the week involves a list of players overwhelmingly populated by guys who are skinny and power-free, one wonders how an editor allowed this to even see the light of day.
I suppose the answer is “it’s the sports page, who cares?” In other news, editors are still frantically trying to figure out why newspapers are dying.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)