Aug 7, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution apparently couldn’t think up an original line of insight to the whole Biogenesis mess, so he decided to create an “all-steroids team.”
While it’s bad enough that this has been done countless times already, Schultz gets extra points for inanity for putting guys on there whether they have ever had credible allegations of PED use against them or not.
All players listed below have either been suspended for drugs; or admitted using them; or were listed on the Mitchell Report; or were fingered by Jose Canseco, another player or a trainer; or obviously took something stronger than Flintstone Chewables but excelled at not leaving a paper trail; or fall under the “I Think He Took Something But Can’t Be Certain” category (example: Jeff Bagwell).
Such a tack is bad enough at the best of times, but when the major PED news of the week involves a list of players overwhelmingly populated by guys who are skinny and power-free, one wonders how an editor allowed this to even see the light of day.
I suppose the answer is “it’s the sports page, who cares?” In other news, editors are still frantically trying to figure out why newspapers are dying.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (246)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)