Biogenesis allows us to smear Jeff Bagwell some more? Awesome.

Aug 7, 2013, 4:30 PM EST

Jeff Bagwell

Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution apparently couldn’t think up an original line of insight to the whole Biogenesis mess, so he decided to create an “all-steroids team.”

While it’s bad enough that this has been done countless times already, Schultz gets extra points for inanity for putting guys on there whether they have ever had credible allegations of PED use against them or not.

All players listed below have either been suspended for drugs; or admitted using them; or were listed on the Mitchell Report; or were fingered by Jose Canseco, another player or a trainer; or obviously took something stronger than Flintstone Chewables but excelled at not leaving a paper trail; or fall under the “I Think He Took Something But Can’t Be Certain” category (example: Jeff Bagwell).

Such a tack is bad enough at the best of times, but when the major PED news of the week involves a list of players overwhelmingly populated by guys who are skinny and power-free, one wonders how an editor allowed this to even see the light of day.

I suppose the answer is “it’s the sports page, who cares?” In other news, editors are still frantically trying to figure out why newspapers are dying.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I think Jeff Schultz is on drugs. No way he could write as many words a day as he does without it. I mean seriously, have you seen his keyboard? The letters have been completely wiped off!

I don’t have any proof, but since I’m making a wild accusation, let’s treat it as fact, and all picket his house and place of employment and demand that he be terminated and barred from any future awards biased on his work.

• The Common Man - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I like the way you think

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Looks like it’s time for you to update your list again!

• The Common Man - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

He’s already on it…twice.

2. buffal0sportsfan - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I saw Jeff Bagwell and I almost puked.

3. cur68 - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Holy shit. Where do these guys get off? This POS Schultz is making up allegations out of whole cloth and without a credible logic base. How do they get away with it?

• manute - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

“… making up allegations out of whole cloth and without a credible logic base…”

This sounds like every poorly-written legal brief ever. Go ahead, call his argument specious. You know you want to.

• cur68 - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I think I did. I can be brief. As necessary.

4. deathmonkey41 - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I’m creating an “All Phony D-Bag team”. I’ve penciled in most of the positions, but wrote Big Papi in with ink at DH.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Your obsession with Ortiz borders on psychotic. Seek help.

5. jeffa43 - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Jeff Shultz and Sandusky are the same item…

You say prove it? No Shultz I say prove its not true.

6. Jeremy T - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM

He’s got Piazza on there, too. He’s never been found to have anything worse than bacne, right?

• paperlions - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I think he admitted to using creatine or andro or something before those things were banned, and at a time when apparently just about every ball player used something similar in conjunction with their workouts….even skinny guys workout and can use help recovering from them (in fact, the less strong you are, the more help you may need recovering).

• jonrox - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Creatine, at least, does not appear to be banned based on a quick google search.

7. cohnjusack - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Leaving aside the biggest offense of claiming Jeff Bagwell and Mike Piazza were on PEDs without any proof, what’s up with that guys lineup?

1B: Mark McGwire with Jeff Bagwell as a backup? I looooved me some McGwire, but Bagwell was better.
    2B: Marcus Giles with Chuck Knoblauch as his backup? Giles isn’t even close to Knoblauch.
    DH: Rafael Palmeiro with Manny Ramirez as his backup? Jesus man….

8. shaggylocks - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Fortunately most of the comments to his piece call him out on it.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

And that kind of hints at why he wrote it – all the clickthroughs. I’m not going to join in, but it seems there’s nothing there but something to make every team’s fans irate so they click on the article and mutter to themselves or comment to him.

• 18thstreet - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

The post also has a photo that says “Cooperstown Doesn’t Allow Cheaters.” Somehow, Leo Durocher, John McGraw and Gaylord Perry made it in, anyway.

Cooperstown LOVES certain kinds of cheaters.

9. The Common Man - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

God dammit. This crap drives me nuts and Schultz is a repeat offender.

10. stlouis1baseball - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Schultz is a complete tool. Let’s move on. Dude doesn’t even deserve the attention this particular board is providing him.

11. apkyletexas - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Is this an all-steroids team? Or a list of “power hitters” who went 1-for-8 (one single, no walks) in a 4-game World Series sweep? Or a list of guys who batted .154 or less in 5 or more playoff series in their careers?

If Bagwell were the poster-boy for steroids, that would be an awfully pathetic looking poster.

12. Walk - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

It is bad enough when you see garbage like that in the comments section. It is totally unacceptable to see it in print. That is the problem with having a column like his. Many people believe in the adage where there is smoke there is fire. People like Schultz make a living creating smoke and eventually they start a fire. Make up enough stories about guys that you have no evidence on place guys who have the stink on them and eventually you work up to guilt by association. We can do the same to him, perhaps we should make a list of writers who are drug users themselves, add his name as back up, work our way up, and suddenly we have a new underboss in Atlanta.

• Jeremy T - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM

“Where there’s smoke there’s fire”

Well… maybe… but sometimes, it was actually steam, and you’re just an idiot.

• Jeremy T - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Note: I wasn’t calling Walk an idiot. I was referring to people who seem to be seeing smoke around every player who has had success in the last 20 years.

• Walk - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

“Well… maybe… but sometimes, it was actually steam, and you’re just an idiot.”

You got me, how can I possibly argue against such impeccable grammar and logic?

• Jeremy T - Aug 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Hmm, it appears I’m not as coherent as I imagine myself to be. I wasn’t arguing against you, I was taking a metaphor and attempting to make it ridiculous. It’s possible I failed.

13. uueyell - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The same could be said about Sammy Sosa, or is a jersey that needs elastic arm holes enough evidence.

14. braddavery - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Wow. He said ” “I Think He Took Something But Can’t Be Certain”. How is that wrong in any way. It’s his OPINION and he said as much. He didn’t make any claims. More smear tactics by Craig on people who don’t love or ignore cheating.

15. yahmule - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

People need to lay off Schultz for his willful ignorance. I thought he was the most endearing Nazi on prime time television.

16. scout144 - Aug 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Bagwell should sue for defamation

• baseballer28 - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Why, he totally juiced all through the 90’s and was a horrible player that steroids made better.

• baseballer28 - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Horrible player. And a Douche Bag.

• stex52 - Aug 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Nice to see you, troll. Don’t let the door hit you in the butt.

17. prospero63 - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM

What’s pathetic is he will hide behind freedom of press to libel Bagwell.

18. bravojawja - Aug 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

People still read AJC sports columnists? I stopped doing that years ago.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5837)
  2. M. Kemp (3261)
  3. J. Kang (3236)
  4. C. McGehee (3096)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3068)
  1. J. Upton (3003)