Aug 7, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution apparently couldn’t think up an original line of insight to the whole Biogenesis mess, so he decided to create an “all-steroids team.”
While it’s bad enough that this has been done countless times already, Schultz gets extra points for inanity for putting guys on there whether they have ever had credible allegations of PED use against them or not.
All players listed below have either been suspended for drugs; or admitted using them; or were listed on the Mitchell Report; or were fingered by Jose Canseco, another player or a trainer; or obviously took something stronger than Flintstone Chewables but excelled at not leaving a paper trail; or fall under the “I Think He Took Something But Can’t Be Certain” category (example: Jeff Bagwell).
Such a tack is bad enough at the best of times, but when the major PED news of the week involves a list of players overwhelmingly populated by guys who are skinny and power-free, one wonders how an editor allowed this to even see the light of day.
I suppose the answer is “it’s the sports page, who cares?” In other news, editors are still frantically trying to figure out why newspapers are dying.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)