Aug 7, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that Blue Jays utilityman Mark DeRosa has been claimed off waivers by an unknown team. Toronto has until Thursday to work out a trade, let him go on a straight waiver claim or pull back and keep him.
Waiver claims are very common this time of year and don’t always turn into transactions, but DeRosa has displayed some power recently and his versatility on defense could be of value to a contending club.
DeRosa is hitting .231/.320/.449 with seven home runs and 29 RBI over 147 at-bats this season while appearing defensively at third base, first base, second base and DH.
He has played for eight different teams over the course of his 16-year major league career.
The 38-year-old impending free agent is owned around $230,000 through the conclusion of 2013.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)