Aug 7, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that Blue Jays utilityman Mark DeRosa has been claimed off waivers by an unknown team. Toronto has until Thursday to work out a trade, let him go on a straight waiver claim or pull back and keep him.
Waiver claims are very common this time of year and don’t always turn into transactions, but DeRosa has displayed some power recently and his versatility on defense could be of value to a contending club.
DeRosa is hitting .231/.320/.449 with seven home runs and 29 RBI over 147 at-bats this season while appearing defensively at third base, first base, second base and DH.
He has played for eight different teams over the course of his 16-year major league career.
The 38-year-old impending free agent is owned around $230,000 through the conclusion of 2013.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)