Aug 7, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that Blue Jays utilityman Mark DeRosa has been claimed off waivers by an unknown team. Toronto has until Thursday to work out a trade, let him go on a straight waiver claim or pull back and keep him.
Waiver claims are very common this time of year and don’t always turn into transactions, but DeRosa has displayed some power recently and his versatility on defense could be of value to a contending club.
DeRosa is hitting .231/.320/.449 with seven home runs and 29 RBI over 147 at-bats this season while appearing defensively at third base, first base, second base and DH.
He has played for eight different teams over the course of his 16-year major league career.
The 38-year-old impending free agent is owned around $230,000 through the conclusion of 2013.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 2
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 177
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (178)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)