Aug 7, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that Blue Jays utilityman Mark DeRosa has been claimed off waivers by an unknown team. Toronto has until Thursday to work out a trade, let him go on a straight waiver claim or pull back and keep him.
Waiver claims are very common this time of year and don’t always turn into transactions, but DeRosa has displayed some power recently and his versatility on defense could be of value to a contending club.
DeRosa is hitting .231/.320/.449 with seven home runs and 29 RBI over 147 at-bats this season while appearing defensively at third base, first base, second base and DH.
He has played for eight different teams over the course of his 16-year major league career.
The 38-year-old impending free agent is owned around $230,000 through the conclusion of 2013.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)