Aug 7, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that Blue Jays utilityman Mark DeRosa has been claimed off waivers by an unknown team. Toronto has until Thursday to work out a trade, let him go on a straight waiver claim or pull back and keep him.
Waiver claims are very common this time of year and don’t always turn into transactions, but DeRosa has displayed some power recently and his versatility on defense could be of value to a contending club.
DeRosa is hitting .231/.320/.449 with seven home runs and 29 RBI over 147 at-bats this season while appearing defensively at third base, first base, second base and DH.
He has played for eight different teams over the course of his 16-year major league career.
The 38-year-old impending free agent is owned around $230,000 through the conclusion of 2013.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (161)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)