Aug 7, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz absolutely destroyed the press box-access phone in the away dugout at Baltimore’s Camden Yards on July 27 after arguing a third-strike call with home plate ump Tim Timmons. Now come the consequences.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Major League Baseball has fined Ortiz a sum of $5,000. The veteran slugger has appealed, but he seems doubtful to have any luck because facing no punishment for destroying property in a visitors stadium would set a pretty awful precedent.
Ortiz is making $14 million this season and has earned over $112.5 million in salary in his 17-year career.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (152)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)