Aug 7, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz absolutely destroyed the press box-access phone in the away dugout at Baltimore’s Camden Yards on July 27 after arguing a third-strike call with home plate ump Tim Timmons. Now come the consequences.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Major League Baseball has fined Ortiz a sum of $5,000. The veteran slugger has appealed, but he seems doubtful to have any luck because facing no punishment for destroying property in a visitors stadium would set a pretty awful precedent.
Ortiz is making $14 million this season and has earned over $112.5 million in salary in his 17-year career.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)