Aug 7, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz absolutely destroyed the press box-access phone in the away dugout at Baltimore’s Camden Yards on July 27 after arguing a third-strike call with home plate ump Tim Timmons. Now come the consequences.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Major League Baseball has fined Ortiz a sum of $5,000. The veteran slugger has appealed, but he seems doubtful to have any luck because facing no punishment for destroying property in a visitors stadium would set a pretty awful precedent.
Ortiz is making $14 million this season and has earned over $112.5 million in salary in his 17-year career.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)