David Ortiz is appealing his $5,000 fine for smashing that dugout phone at Camden Yards

Aug 7, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT

david ortiz getty Getty Images

Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz absolutely destroyed the press box-access phone in the away dugout at Baltimore’s Camden Yards on July 27 after arguing a third-strike call with home plate ump Tim Timmons. Now come the consequences.

According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Major League Baseball has fined Ortiz a sum of $5,000. The veteran slugger has appealed, but he seems doubtful to have any luck because facing no punishment for destroying property in a visitors stadium would set a pretty awful precedent.

Ortiz is making $14 million this season and has earned over $112.5 million in salary in his 17-year career.

1. ctony1216 - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Maybe it was a telemarketer calling.

• cornbreadbbqred - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Nope! ‘Roid rage! The new poster boy!

• cornbreadbbqred - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

He darn well should have been suspended multiple games for the shabby example to other players.

2. Old Gator - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Hope he wins. I’d hate to see him throw another tantrum.

• apkyletexas - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

You can never tell what the roids will make him do next. You can only keep your distance. And pray.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I heard his representation is a stiff in a suit. Goes by the name Louie.

3. cocheese000 - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I hope adam jones or Chris Davis destroy the phone in the Red Sox dugout.

4. allmyteamsareterrible - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

What a disgrace. You acted like a complete idiot, and now you want to appeal even though you almost impaled your teammate? Just take the fine and try, in some small manner, to make your idiocy more palpable to the rest of humanity.

• Old Gator - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Palatable? Palpable it already is.

• dan1111 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:39 AM

The original act was stupid, but at least somewhat understandable because it was done in the heat of the moment.

The appeal makes him look far worse.

5. cocheese000 - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

For the mathematically illiterate, that would be about a 27 dollar fine for a 75k salary when compared to his salary

• jimeejohnson - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Meh.

• cocheese000 - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I’m not at 75k but I would pay more than 27 to break something when I get mad at work.

6. spacemaker101 - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

What a douche

7. psuravens19 - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

This guy makes me sick…

8. mybrunoblog - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Ortiz is a known whiner and a tool bag. I cant imagine what he’s trying to accomplish here. It cant be the money because 5G is ash tray money for this guy. Whats the deal?

• dan1111 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Given that having a good reputation leads to endorsement income and more possibilities for future employment, this appeal is likely costing him money even if he wins.

9. ditto65 - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

“It was the PEDs, man. I mean, I don’t know to this day why I smashed the Phone.”

10. rcali - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

If he did that in the Dominican Republic he would be locked up for destroying the only working phone. Here in America, well we kinda let people from other countries do what they want I guess.

• Glenn - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

What an enlightened commentary. Please expand more on your cosmopolitan views.

• brazcubas - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yikes, what a train wreck of a comment . . . You do realize, though, that a fine is a punitive action, yes?

And here I thought there was no way to make Ortiz a sympathetic figure, shows what I know. (He’s still a d-bag, though, he should pay the fine, buy the Orioles a shiny new Red Sox-themed phone, and call it a day)

• aceshigh11 - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Ah, yes…another reactionary who has delusions that the “coloreds” are running wild in the streets, raping and pillaging our good white women at will

No doubt all thanks to the permissive attitude of the Sambo-in-Chief…right?

• skids003 - Aug 8, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I would like to know where you got your crystal ball at.

11. pisano - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Fat boy, you looked like a horses ass with what you did, just shut up and pay it, there should have been a suspension, so consider yourself ahead of the game.

12. cornbreadbbqred - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

‘Roid Rage? Hmmmmmmm…..?

13. misterj167 - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I don’t know what everyone’s complaining about, it was the PHONE that tested positive for PED’s earlier this year…

14. tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Is there any way someone can file an appeal over the signing of Ryan Dumpster?

I knew that one was going to be, at best, bad and at worst terrible.

• historiophiliac - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM

They should make a new rule: anytime a player breaks a phone in the dugout, the team has to take Jose Valverde.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM

A better rule would be that every time a GM signs a middling NL pitcher to pitch in the AL, that GM should be fed to Delmon Young.

• kopy - Aug 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM

But it’s working out so well for Mike Pelfrey and Kevin Correia.

• sabatimus - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Dumpster strikes out people, but that’s about it. The rest is open season. I know the Sox won’t do this, but sit him and start Workman.

15. tsuscrumhalf - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Douche! I hope the fine gets increased upon appeal.

16. aceshigh11 - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Oh, screw you, Ortiz.

Just pay the goddamned fine. You lost control and went berserk…own up and take it like a man.

17. ortizisadouche - Aug 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I was so happy to see papi melt down even though I don’t want much baseball anymore and am as sox fan. Everyone’s always called him a stand up guy but I know from experience he is a douche bag to kids women and everyone

• sabatimus - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Your handle isn’t biased at all.

18. sabatimus - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Not sure why he’s appealing. I think the Sox should’ve suspended him for a game or two. I said this before, but he could seriously have injured his teammates (Dustin Pedroia being one). Just own it, pay it, and move on, ok?

19. daubs17 - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:13 AM

i like ortiz usually and hes a such a great figure in red sox history. but his antics like this at times are annoying and puts himself before the team. guy sometimes acts like hes the lone guy in mlb to get a bad strike zone, happens to everyone, quite a bit too. just dont think a guy like this and at this stage in his career should be acting this way…

20. theskinsman - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Do all you yankee fans need a tissue? I couldn’t care less that he got pissed and broke a phone cover. You ladies make it sound like he was tossing live grenades into the dugout. Hey, if Afraud can get away with doing Roids his entire career with his organization looking the other way, maybe no one has to get fined for anything???

• dan1111 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM

I’m a Red Sox fan and longtime fan of Ortiz, but come on. This is absolutely ridiculous behavior on his part.

• Kevin S. - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I count two Yankee fans who have commented above. There might be a couple more, but most of the people ripping him are definitely not Yankee fans.

• theskinsman - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Take off your shoes and count again.

21. Darwy - Aug 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Sorry Papi – you should just zip it and pay the fine. It’s not unreasonable, and what you did was dangerous.

22. 8man - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Losing more and more respect for this guy as a person. I expected him to be contrite and introspective. Instead he’s acting indignant and foolish. Has he not seen the video of himself? Ortiz, pay the fine, shut the hell up and behave.

23. rickdobrydney - Aug 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Fat, entitled, whining, boorish, PED-induced, prima donna jerk—–always has been— and he always gets a pass— what a complete jerk—-

24. deathmonkey41 - Aug 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Completely expected from this juiced-up, phony POS, egomaniac. He couldn’t just be happy that Selig and MLB once again protected the Red Sox by not suspending him- which he clearly should have been. Instead, he’s going to appeal a fine that he probably made in salary in those few seconds he took smashing the phone. People talk about A-Rod- this cheater has zero intergrity too.

25. mcglade1212 - Aug 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM