Aug 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
David Ortiz was one of the hundred or so ballplayers who tested positive for PEDs during the 2003 survey testing which was designed to determine whether or not baseball’s drug problem was significant enough to warrant full-blown testing the following year. His and everyone else’s name was supposed to remain confidential, but his, Alex Rodriguez and Sammy Sosa’s names were leaked.
At the time his name was leaked, Ortiz said a lot of things about how surprised he was and how he wanted to get to the bottom of it all. Most took this as a deflection and didn’t buy Ortiz’s confusion as genuine. He got busted, most figured, and now he’s acting surprised. How rich.
“No. Nobody. Not MLB. Not the Players Association. Nobody,” said Ortiz when asked if anyone had revealed what he had reportedly tested positive for. “They just threw it out there that I tested positive on this one list and that was it. Nothing. So I have to deal with that, and your mind is all over the place. And I’ve lived with it … It is something that is still in the dark because nobody ever had the [guts] to come to me and say, ‘This is what was happening.’ You damaged my image at the time, and it has always stayed like that. No explanation. No nothing.”
Take that for what it’s worth. But ask yourself why Ortiz — along with Andy Pettitte and many others who have had PED associations — don’t get one-tenth the crap thrown on them that Alex Rodriguez does.
And no, this is not a call to throw crap on Ortiz and Pettitte.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 9
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)