Aug 7, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
David Phelps has been on the disabled list for a month with a strained forearm and now his minor-league rehab assignment has been put on hold due to a new injury.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Phelps has been diagnosed with “another strain in the area that connects his forearm and his elbow” and will be shut down for at least two weeks, putting the Yankees right-hander’s status for the remainder of the season in jeopardy.
Manager Joe Girardi called the new injury “strange” and “concerning” while McCullough notes that if Phelps does come back in time to pitch again this season it would likely be as a reliever. He has a 4.39 ERA in 23 starts for the Yankees since last season.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)