Aug 7, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
David Phelps has been on the disabled list for a month with a strained forearm and now his minor-league rehab assignment has been put on hold due to a new injury.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Phelps has been diagnosed with “another strain in the area that connects his forearm and his elbow” and will be shut down for at least two weeks, putting the Yankees right-hander’s status for the remainder of the season in jeopardy.
Manager Joe Girardi called the new injury “strange” and “concerning” while McCullough notes that if Phelps does come back in time to pitch again this season it would likely be as a reliever. He has a 4.39 ERA in 23 starts for the Yankees since last season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)