Aug 7, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Young took a cheap, incentive-laden one-year deal from the Phillies coming off ankle surgery, with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and manager Charlie Manuel talking him up while guys like me wondered why exactly they wanted a corner outfielder who’s a below-average hitter and one of the worst fielders in baseball.
Sure enough Young has hit just .262 with a .304 on-base percentage and .401 slugging percentage for a .705 OPS that’s 55 points below the MLB average for right fielders and Ultimate Zone Rating pegs him as 8.1 runs below average defensively in 493 innings. Same old, same old.
But hey, based on those same seven-year-old scouting reports the Phillies relied on to sign Young he probably still looks pretty good. And at least they got him to lose a few pounds with $600,000 in weigh-in incentives.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)