Aug 7, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Young took a cheap, incentive-laden one-year deal from the Phillies coming off ankle surgery, with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and manager Charlie Manuel talking him up while guys like me wondered why exactly they wanted a corner outfielder who’s a below-average hitter and one of the worst fielders in baseball.
Sure enough Young has hit just .262 with a .304 on-base percentage and .401 slugging percentage for a .705 OPS that’s 55 points below the MLB average for right fielders and Ultimate Zone Rating pegs him as 8.1 runs below average defensively in 493 innings. Same old, same old.
But hey, based on those same seven-year-old scouting reports the Phillies relied on to sign Young he probably still looks pretty good. And at least they got him to lose a few pounds with $600,000 in weigh-in incentives.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)