Aug 7, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Young took a cheap, incentive-laden one-year deal from the Phillies coming off ankle surgery, with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and manager Charlie Manuel talking him up while guys like me wondered why exactly they wanted a corner outfielder who’s a below-average hitter and one of the worst fielders in baseball.
Sure enough Young has hit just .262 with a .304 on-base percentage and .401 slugging percentage for a .705 OPS that’s 55 points below the MLB average for right fielders and Ultimate Zone Rating pegs him as 8.1 runs below average defensively in 493 innings. Same old, same old.
But hey, based on those same seven-year-old scouting reports the Phillies relied on to sign Young he probably still looks pretty good. And at least they got him to lose a few pounds with $600,000 in weigh-in incentives.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)