Former Cubs minor leaguer wins “The Bachelorette”

Aug 7, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

TV-The Bachelorette AP

I don’t watch “The Bachelor” or “The Bachelorette,” but since I’m clearly not above writing about reality television shows when they have some baseball connection I figured this was worth passing along.

Apparently the winner of this season’s “The Bachelorette” is a former Cubs minor league pitcher named Chris Siegfried, who was drafted in the 11th round out of the University of Portland in 2007.

Sara Vallone of CSNChicago.com has more:

The left-handed pitcher started in the Cubs minor league system with Boise, spending a little more than a month with the Hawks before being sent to Peoria where he played until 2009. Later that year, he was promoted to Daytona. Siegfried hung up his spikes in 2011 after playing with Fargo-Moorhead of the Independent League.

During his five-year career, Siegfried appeared in 142 games, pitched 294 2/3 innings with a 4.64 ERA, had 224 strikeouts and ended with a 14-20 overall record.

If nothing else he fared better than Jeff Kent on “Survivor.”

1. baseballici0us - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Ugh!….Craig.

• buffal0sportsfan - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I pretty sure Aaron wrote this.

• baseballici0us - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Ugh!…Aaron.

2. buffal0sportsfan - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

So just asking. Does this this add value to his rookie card?

3. stoutfiles - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

He won a broken engagement and/or divorce! Woohoo!

4. tfbuckfutter - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Jesus. Talk about a theme here. Every time the guy wins, he ends up a bigger loser.

“I got drafted!” “By the Cubs.”
    “I won a game show!” “It was the Bachelorette.”
    “I’m engaged!” “On a reality show.”

• historiophiliac - Aug 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

My sister threatened to submit my name for this show once. She thinks watching me react to 20 cheesy guys, roses, and scripted romance would make excellent TV for some reason.

• Gamera the Brave - Aug 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hmmm…
        Might be “Must See TV”, to watch you standing outside the Bachelorette house, and greeting stlouis, cur, stex, et.al. as they emerge from the limos…

• historiophiliac - Aug 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Oh, they’d probably give me some jackass that tries to talk to me through a whole baseball game…or loves Larry Jones…or hates mustard on a dog.

• nbjays - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Or likes pie AND cake, but hates bread pudding.

• badintent - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM

CUBS WIN !! CUBS WIN !!

5. Stiller43 - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Im sure, like usual, theyre deeply, DEEPLY in love after 6 weeks.

6. pinkfloydprism - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Does anyone really win on those types of shows? Besides the network, of course.

7. errorlesss - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

You got one set of double quotes right, but you forgot the other set around “wins.”

Still, good to see a Cub “win” something, I guess.

8. sportsdrenched - Aug 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM

You know what’s cool about baseball season? It means you didn’t even know this was a thing, except for some random females in your life mentioning it in passing.

• nbjays - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Aaron Gleeman is a random female in your life? I bet that’s news to him.

9. proudlycanadian - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I suspect that Aaron is wondering how he can become a contestant on The Bachelor.

10. Old Gator - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Somewhere around 75BC the Chinese mathematician Jiu-zhang Suanshu) wrote his Nine Chapters on the Art of Mathematics which was the first published guide to calculating negative numbers. This gave civilization about 2100 years to learn to plot the IQs of the abject imbeciles who watch shows like this.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate