Aug 7, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
Proof that there are some horrible, horrible people in the world: Vandals have defaced the famous statue of Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese standing arm-in-arm outside the Brooklyn Cyclones stadium in Coney Island. Among the messages written on the statue: ”Heil Hitler,” “Die n—-r,” “F–k n—-r” and “F–k Jackie Robinson.”
An NYPD spokesman tells NBC Sports that a black marker was used to write the racist statements, and that the matter is being investigated by the hate-crimes task force.
Billy Harner, director of communications for the Cyclones tells NBC Sports via e-mail that “Jackie Robinson and Pee Wee Reese embody the humanity and inclusiveness that make our borough, city and country great. It is both heartbreaking and deeply disturbing that this statue, which is a symbol of equality and tolerance, has been defaced in such an offensive and hateful way.”
As this picture shows, the Cyclones have covered up the base of the statue pending it being cleaned up.
Base of Jackie Robinson statue now covered pic.twitter.com/GIqjxZFdaz
— glenn schuck (@glennschuck) August 7, 2013
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17