Aug 7, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
Matt Moore may be looking at a mid-August return.
According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the lefty played catch from 70 feet on Tuesday and reported no issues. Moore was placed on the 15-day disabled list on July 29 with soreness in his left elbow, but tests have ruled out structural damage and he could return to the mound for a bullpen session this weekend if the progress continues.
Moore had a 2.08 ERA and a 32/8 K/BB ratio in 34 2/3 innings (five starts) in July and the Rays are 16-5 in his starts this season. The 24-year-old southpaw can be truly dominant when all his stuff is working and his command is on.
Tampa Bay currently trails Boston by a half-game in the American League East.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)