Aug 7, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
Matt Moore may be looking at a mid-August return.
According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the lefty played catch from 70 feet on Tuesday and reported no issues. Moore was placed on the 15-day disabled list on July 29 with soreness in his left elbow, but tests have ruled out structural damage and he could return to the mound for a bullpen session this weekend if the progress continues.
Moore had a 2.08 ERA and a 32/8 K/BB ratio in 34 2/3 innings (five starts) in July and the Rays are 16-5 in his starts this season. The 24-year-old southpaw can be truly dominant when all his stuff is working and his command is on.
Tampa Bay currently trails Boston by a half-game in the American League East.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 34
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)