Aug 7, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
Matt Moore may be looking at a mid-August return.
According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the lefty played catch from 70 feet on Tuesday and reported no issues. Moore was placed on the 15-day disabled list on July 29 with soreness in his left elbow, but tests have ruled out structural damage and he could return to the mound for a bullpen session this weekend if the progress continues.
Moore had a 2.08 ERA and a 32/8 K/BB ratio in 34 2/3 innings (five starts) in July and the Rays are 16-5 in his starts this season. The 24-year-old southpaw can be truly dominant when all his stuff is working and his command is on.
Tampa Bay currently trails Boston by a half-game in the American League East.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)