Aug 7, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
Matt Moore may be looking at a mid-August return.
According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the lefty played catch from 70 feet on Tuesday and reported no issues. Moore was placed on the 15-day disabled list on July 29 with soreness in his left elbow, but tests have ruled out structural damage and he could return to the mound for a bullpen session this weekend if the progress continues.
Moore had a 2.08 ERA and a 32/8 K/BB ratio in 34 2/3 innings (five starts) in July and the Rays are 16-5 in his starts this season. The 24-year-old southpaw can be truly dominant when all his stuff is working and his command is on.
Tampa Bay currently trails Boston by a half-game in the American League East.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)