Aug 7, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Two weeks ago the Phillies were said to have agreed to a six-year, $50 million deal with Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, but the contract has yet to be announced officially and apparently it may not actually happen now.
For their part the Phillies have said absolutely nothing about Gonzalez one way or another and Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the agreement “hit a snag.” Zolecki speculates that Gonzalez’s history of elbow problems could be the issue.
Gonzalez is widely viewed as a potential mid-rotation starter and MLB-ready at age 26, so if the signing falls through the Phillies’ pitching plans would change quite a bit for 2014 and beyond. As of two weeks ago the Red Sox were believed to be the runner-ups for Gonzalez, so it’ll be interesting to see if they get back in the mix now and if his price tag will be lower.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)