Aug 7, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Thornton mostly worked the eighth inning for Boston, so the bullpen will have to reshuffle a bit in his absence. And based on the usual recovery timetable for oblique injuries–which can often linger much longer than initially expected–the impending free agent may not pitch again until September.
Thornton suffered the injury Sunday and had hoped to avoid the DL, but Pedro Beato has been recalled from Triple-A to take his place in the bullpen.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 60
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)