Aug 7, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE, 8:01 p.m. ET: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman says the base of the deal is two years, $27 million. That’s pretty good value for a player like Utley.
7:32 p.m. ET: As first reported by CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury, the Phillies have reached agreement on a contract extension with second baseman Chase Utley. The specifics of the deal have not been made available, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal is hearing that it will be a two-year pact in the high $20 million range with multiple vesting options.
There was talk of Utley being shopped at last month’s July 31 trade deadline, but the Philadelphia front office wound up selling no one and will try to build around the current crop of Phillies players.
Utley is in the final season of a seven-year, $85 million contract that he signed in January 2007. The 34-year-old is still a highly productive hitter, boasting a .275/.336/.505 batting line with 15 home runs and 42 RBI in 83 games this year. Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. wasn’t kidding about not wanting to rebuild.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)