Aug 7, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Gonzalez has played through the injury off and on for the past month and hit .293 during that time, but didn’t show much power and repeatedly needed to sit out games when it flared up. He’ll be eligible to return on August 20, although with the Rockies already out of contention they won’t have much motivation to rush him back.
Overall this season Gonzalez has played 103 of a possible 114 games while hitting .302 with 26 homers, leading the NL in both slugging percentage (.591) and OPS (.958). Colorado has recently turned to Corey Dickerson as his primary replacement and Charlie Blackmon could also see extended action.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)