Aug 7, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Gonzalez has played through the injury off and on for the past month and hit .293 during that time, but didn’t show much power and repeatedly needed to sit out games when it flared up. He’ll be eligible to return on August 20, although with the Rockies already out of contention they won’t have much motivation to rush him back.
Overall this season Gonzalez has played 103 of a possible 114 games while hitting .302 with 26 homers, leading the NL in both slugging percentage (.591) and OPS (.958). Colorado has recently turned to Corey Dickerson as his primary replacement and Charlie Blackmon could also see extended action.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)