Aug 7, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Gonzalez has played through the injury off and on for the past month and hit .293 during that time, but didn’t show much power and repeatedly needed to sit out games when it flared up. He’ll be eligible to return on August 20, although with the Rockies already out of contention they won’t have much motivation to rush him back.
Overall this season Gonzalez has played 103 of a possible 114 games while hitting .302 with 26 homers, leading the NL in both slugging percentage (.591) and OPS (.958). Colorado has recently turned to Corey Dickerson as his primary replacement and Charlie Blackmon could also see extended action.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 0
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)