Aug 7, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
Gonzalez has played through the injury off and on for the past month and hit .293 during that time, but didn’t show much power and repeatedly needed to sit out games when it flared up. He’ll be eligible to return on August 20, although with the Rockies already out of contention they won’t have much motivation to rush him back.
Overall this season Gonzalez has played 103 of a possible 114 games while hitting .302 with 26 homers, leading the NL in both slugging percentage (.591) and OPS (.958). Colorado has recently turned to Corey Dickerson as his primary replacement and Charlie Blackmon could also see extended action.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 41
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)