Aug 7, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Cardinals star rookie Shelby Miller was removed in the first inning of his start Wednesday night against the Dodgers after taking a line drive off his throwing elbow from Dodgers leadoff man Carl Crawford.
Miller grabbed his right elbow and hunched over on the front of the mound as trainers rushed to his side. He threw his glove in disgust before walking to the first-base dugout and down into the clubhouse.
Michael Blazek entered to finish out the first inning and Jake Westbrook took over in the second. Westbrook was scheduled to start Thursday’s series finale against Los Angeles; that assignment could now go to 21-year-old right-hander Carlos Martinez.
The Cardinals are loaded with good young pitching talent, but their lack of established frontline starters behind Adam Wainwright could be a major issue going forward if Miller is out for an extended period of time.
Miller entered Wednesday with a 2.89 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 132/35 K/BB ratio in 121 innings this year.
UPDATE, 9:19 p.m. ET: According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, Miller has been diagnosed with a right elbow contusion. That’s a promising first update, but Miller is sure to undergo more tests.
UPDATE, 9:45 p.m. ET: X-rays on Miller’s elbow turned up negative, tweets Langosch.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)