Aug 7, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
Cardinals star rookie Shelby Miller was removed in the first inning of his start Wednesday night against the Dodgers after taking a line drive off his throwing elbow from Dodgers leadoff man Carl Crawford.
Miller grabbed his right elbow and hunched over on the front of the mound as trainers rushed to his side. He threw his glove in disgust before walking to the first-base dugout and down into the clubhouse.
Michael Blazek entered to finish out the first inning and Jake Westbrook took over in the second. Westbrook was scheduled to start Thursday’s series finale against Los Angeles; that assignment could now go to 21-year-old right-hander Carlos Martinez.
The Cardinals are loaded with good young pitching talent, but their lack of established frontline starters behind Adam Wainwright could be a major issue going forward if Miller is out for an extended period of time.
Miller entered Wednesday with a 2.89 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 132/35 K/BB ratio in 121 innings this year.
UPDATE, 9:19 p.m. ET: According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, Miller has been diagnosed with a right elbow contusion. That’s a promising first update, but Miller is sure to undergo more tests.
UPDATE, 9:45 p.m. ET: X-rays on Miller’s elbow turned up negative, tweets Langosch.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 15
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 74
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)