Aug 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
File this under: things we never would have guessed before the season began: the Indians just announced that they have signed Ryan Raburn to a two-year contract extension thru the 2015 season with a club option for 2016.
Raburn has one pretty darn well for a minor league signing with a camp-invite this past winter. He’s hitting .277 with 14 doubles, 13 home runs and 38 RBI in 66 games for a line of .277/.370/.565 and has played all over the diamond.
Those numbers wildly exceed his career numbers and aren’t at all likely to be sustainable, but I’m sure Cleveland is smart enough to figure that out. It would seem that they do see Raburn as a capable super-sub for the long haul, however. And there is a lot of value in that. $4.85 million worth of value in that in the Indians’ eyes, reports Paul Hoynes.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)