Aug 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
File this under: things we never would have guessed before the season began: the Indians just announced that they have signed Ryan Raburn to a two-year contract extension thru the 2015 season with a club option for 2016.
Raburn has one pretty darn well for a minor league signing with a camp-invite this past winter. He’s hitting .277 with 14 doubles, 13 home runs and 38 RBI in 66 games for a line of .277/.370/.565 and has played all over the diamond.
Those numbers wildly exceed his career numbers and aren’t at all likely to be sustainable, but I’m sure Cleveland is smart enough to figure that out. It would seem that they do see Raburn as a capable super-sub for the long haul, however. And there is a lot of value in that. $4.85 million worth of value in that in the Indians’ eyes, reports Paul Hoynes.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)