Aug 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
File this under: things we never would have guessed before the season began: the Indians just announced that they have signed Ryan Raburn to a two-year contract extension thru the 2015 season with a club option for 2016.
Raburn has one pretty darn well for a minor league signing with a camp-invite this past winter. He’s hitting .277 with 14 doubles, 13 home runs and 38 RBI in 66 games for a line of .277/.370/.565 and has played all over the diamond.
Those numbers wildly exceed his career numbers and aren’t at all likely to be sustainable, but I’m sure Cleveland is smart enough to figure that out. It would seem that they do see Raburn as a capable super-sub for the long haul, however. And there is a lot of value in that. $4.85 million worth of value in that in the Indians’ eyes, reports Paul Hoynes.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)