Aug 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
David Ortiz was fined $5,000 for smashing that bullpen phone last week. He has appealed his fine. This does not sit well with Dan Shaughnessy:
No benching, no suspension, no apology and still Ortiz is unhappy. He’s appealing $5000 fine for smashing phone — Maybe MLB should pay him?
— Dan Shaughnessy (@Dan_Shaughnessy) August 8, 2013
Between this and the A-Rod stuff it appears to be that there is nothing sportswriters hate more in this world than a person exercising their contractually-granted appeal rights.
Now, let’s see what happens the next time a sportswriter finds themselves in legal trouble. Call me crazy, but I doubt they’ll get all huffy about how bad it is to exercise appeals in that case.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)