Aug 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
David Ortiz was fined $5,000 for smashing that bullpen phone last week. He has appealed his fine. This does not sit well with Dan Shaughnessy:
No benching, no suspension, no apology and still Ortiz is unhappy. He’s appealing $5000 fine for smashing phone — Maybe MLB should pay him?
— Dan Shaughnessy (@Dan_Shaughnessy) August 8, 2013
Between this and the A-Rod stuff it appears to be that there is nothing sportswriters hate more in this world than a person exercising their contractually-granted appeal rights.
Now, let’s see what happens the next time a sportswriter finds themselves in legal trouble. Call me crazy, but I doubt they’ll get all huffy about how bad it is to exercise appeals in that case.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 55
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)