Apparently it’s a problem that David Ortiz is appealing his fine for smashing that phone

Aug 8, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

David Ortiz was fined $5,000 for smashing that bullpen phone last week. He has appealed his fine. This does not sit well with Dan Shaughnessy:

Between this and the A-Rod stuff it appears to be that there is nothing sportswriters hate more in this world than a person exercising their contractually-granted appeal rights.

Now, let’s see what happens the next time a sportswriter finds themselves in legal trouble. Call me crazy, but I doubt they’ll get all huffy about how bad it is to exercise appeals in that case.

1. jfk69 - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

How many here got a ticket and felt the fine or penalty was excessive. Then you found out that you could beat it on a technicality or at the least, get it reduced.
    Well for all you self righteous moral holes. No appeal. No nothing. Pay now or I fine you double for a late penalty. This is my world and you live as I decide. Now get back to work so you can pay your next penalty

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

69, you need to limit your survey to those making at least $5 million a year and were ticketed for behaving like a total jerk in a tantrum while on TV.

• oldskimmy26 - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You realize that in your world, I still come out ahead right?

As per my numbers before, if I make $50K a year the fine is $12.

You took away my right to appeal a fine. Assuming I don’t have to pay lawyers fees, I will likely have to pay for parking near the courthouse, take time off work, etc. All to apeala $12 fine that I have basically ZERO chance of winning. And even if I do win I’ll likely pay more than $12 for parking.

But, in your world, I just pay the $12 instead, don’t have to take time off work, and move on with my life.

2. canuckinamerica - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

The Sox should have benched then fined him. The phone was plastic composition…..which splinters when shattered. A flying piece could have hit any of the players sitting in close proximity to his rage. A shard of plastic in an eye could have done some serious damage. Had it been a player taking up the number 23 spot on the roster…..I would bet his butt would have been sitting in his car faster than you can say “Ortiz”.

• historiophiliac - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I really think the Sox should’ve just benched him a day (and no fine). If you have to sit out for not hustling or attitude or something like that, it’s the same thing. Give him a time out and move on. And, yes, if it wasn’t Ortiz, they probably would’ve done that.

3. redmanrt - Aug 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

The thug stood up well before the ball reached him, and it whizzed right past his potbelly. He then makes some sort of gesture (probably specific to the Republic), screams something, comes out of the dugout, lays hands on his manager, then takes a bat to the phone covers. Farrell and/or the management didn’t bench the anal orifice for a week, and will feign surprise the next time something like that happens – all because the anal orifice sometimes hits. I say, they all deserve each other, coddled narcissist, manager, management, and fans who support such people. The Yankees have been replaced as one of the most despicable organizations in the MLB.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2960)