Aug 8, 2013, 7:23 PM EST
The last-place Brewers have been bit by the injury bug in a big way this year. And now it’s Rickie Weeks‘ turn.
The Brewers announced this evening that Weeks has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. The 30-year-old suffered the injury when he was running to first base on a ground ball in the eighth inning last night against the Giants.
Weeks told Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel after the game that he felt a “a little pop” while running, but MRI results aren’t yet known. Either way, he won’t be eligible to return until later this month. Scooter Gennett will rejoin the Brewers tomorrow and figures to get the majority of the playing time at second base for now.
The hamstring injury is just the latest development in a disappointing season for Weeks, who is hitting just .209/.306/.357 with 10 homers and 24 RBI in 104 games. His .663 OPS is a career-low.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)