Aug 8, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
The last-place Brewers have been bit by the injury bug in a big way this year. And now it’s Rickie Weeks‘ turn.
The Brewers announced this evening that Weeks has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. The 30-year-old suffered the injury when he was running to first base on a ground ball in the eighth inning last night against the Giants.
Weeks told Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel after the game that he felt a “a little pop” while running, but MRI results aren’t yet known. Either way, he won’t be eligible to return until later this month. Scooter Gennett will rejoin the Brewers tomorrow and figures to get the majority of the playing time at second base for now.
The hamstring injury is just the latest development in a disappointing season for Weeks, who is hitting just .209/.306/.357 with 10 homers and 24 RBI in 104 games. His .663 OPS is a career-low.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)