Aug 8, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Chicago got Matt Guerrier back in the Carlos Marmol contract dump, but for a second straight season the veteran reliever is being shut down with elbow problems.
Guerrier has been placed on the 60-day disabled list, which means he won’t be eligible to pitch again this season and will hit the open market as a 35-year-old free agent with some major questions marks attached.
Guerrier pitched well for the Cubs, tossing 12.2 innings with a 2.13 ERA, but he’s been limited to a total of just 56.2 innings since the beginning of last season after once being among the most durable relievers in baseball.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)