Aug 8, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Chicago got Matt Guerrier back in the Carlos Marmol contract dump, but for a second straight season the veteran reliever is being shut down with elbow problems.
Guerrier has been placed on the 60-day disabled list, which means he won’t be eligible to pitch again this season and will hit the open market as a 35-year-old free agent with some major questions marks attached.
Guerrier pitched well for the Cubs, tossing 12.2 innings with a 2.13 ERA, but he’s been limited to a total of just 56.2 innings since the beginning of last season after once being among the most durable relievers in baseball.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)