Aug 8, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Chicago got Matt Guerrier back in the Carlos Marmol contract dump, but for a second straight season the veteran reliever is being shut down with elbow problems.
Guerrier has been placed on the 60-day disabled list, which means he won’t be eligible to pitch again this season and will hit the open market as a 35-year-old free agent with some major questions marks attached.
Guerrier pitched well for the Cubs, tossing 12.2 innings with a 2.13 ERA, but he’s been limited to a total of just 56.2 innings since the beginning of last season after once being among the most durable relievers in baseball.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)