Aug 8, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Chicago got Matt Guerrier back in the Carlos Marmol contract dump, but for a second straight season the veteran reliever is being shut down with elbow problems.
Guerrier has been placed on the 60-day disabled list, which means he won’t be eligible to pitch again this season and will hit the open market as a 35-year-old free agent with some major questions marks attached.
Guerrier pitched well for the Cubs, tossing 12.2 innings with a 2.13 ERA, but he’s been limited to a total of just 56.2 innings since the beginning of last season after once being among the most durable relievers in baseball.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)