Aug 8, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Chicago got Matt Guerrier back in the Carlos Marmol contract dump, but for a second straight season the veteran reliever is being shut down with elbow problems.
Guerrier has been placed on the 60-day disabled list, which means he won’t be eligible to pitch again this season and will hit the open market as a 35-year-old free agent with some major questions marks attached.
Guerrier pitched well for the Cubs, tossing 12.2 innings with a 2.13 ERA, but he’s been limited to a total of just 56.2 innings since the beginning of last season after once being among the most durable relievers in baseball.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 22
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)