Aug 8, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
The Red Sox signed David Ross to a two-year, $6.2 million contract over the winter in hopes that he would share catching duties with Jarrod Saltalamacchia this season, but he has been limited to just 23 games due to a pair of concussions. However, it sounds like he could be back for the stretch run.
According to Evan Drellich of MassLive.com, Ross will begin a minor league rehab assignment tomorrow with Double-A Portland. The 36-year-old hasn’t played since June 14, but he was cleared to return to game action after going for a check-up with concussion specialist Michael Collins on Thursday. He’s expected to move up to Triple-A Pawtucket next week and should be activated around the time he’s eligible to come off the 60-day disabled list on August 17.
This has been a lost season for Ross so far, but he could provide a nice boost to Boston’s lineup if he’s back to 100 percent. He compiled an .816 OPS from 2009-2012 with the Braves and was a real weapon against left-handed pitching.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)