Dioner Navarro only has a bruise after his collision with Chase Utley

Aug 8, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT

It looked scary and he had to go to the hospital for X-rays, but Dioner can consider himself lucky:

Following up on all of that, Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com asked Cubs players and manager Dale Sveum what they thought of the play. They’re pretty much of the opinion that “it’s baseball” and don’t think Chase Utley‘s hit on Navarro was dirty.

These plays suck for everyone involved. Ideally catchers don’t block the plate before they have the ball. They’re technically not allowed to anyway, but that rule is ignored 100% of the time. But there’s a reason for that rule beyond mere fair play for the runner. Blocking the plate without the ball, by necessity, means you’re not looking at the runner and are probably not bracing for any kind of collision. You’re a sitting duck, basically, by your own design.

1. greymares - Aug 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

OK Craig you seem to have it now please talk to Mathew.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

+100000

Although Matthew probably already knows Navarro is fine, as he probably spent the entire night by his bedside out of concern.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Craig must feel proud about the outright Phillies-fan trolling Matthew pulled last night. It had to be pure trolling right? Nobody could actually be stupid enough to think that Utley did anything wrong on that play, could they? Navarro is blocking 99.9% of the plate and Utley is supposed to try to slide on that 0.1% of the plate?

Only someone who has learned from the master-baiter would write a column like Matthew’s.

2. Jonny 5 - Aug 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM

What kinda grit is that? Just a bruise? Utley used to be able to break bones in people just by looking at them crossly. SMH. That new contract made him soft I guess… Speaking of soft, what’s with needing to be carted off for a bruise anyway? Navarro gets no access to any Scrap or Grit membership cards any time soon. ~sarcasm font invoked~

• cur68 - Aug 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Use of Sarcasm Font™, eh? You owe me $69.69 in Canadian Funds.

• stex52 - Aug 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Wait a minute, Cur! Is that font registered in the USA? Even more important, is it registered in Philly? (Man, I love trolling you guys.)

• cur68 - Aug 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Such trivialities are not my concern, Stex. Besides, i registered my brand on HBT. That’s good enough.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

That’s it, I will now appeal your charge against me, It may cost myself, you, and others thousands of dollars, but hey, it’s my right. ~sarcasm font invoked~

BTW, just for my records. How many Beaver pelts equal $69.69 in Canada?

• cur68 - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Bring on your suit. I am prepared to turn the whole matter over to an arbitrator and let my union handle it.

I dunno about the Beaver Pelt Equivalent. The Seal Blubber Exchange Rate fluctuates wildly this time of year since the supply of Maple Syrup peaks in August. We’ll have to wait till the Florida Orange Harvest Report comes out.

3. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

And thus ends L’Affaire Utley.

But more importantly – that is great news he is okay. It did NOT look like that would be the case last night

• stex52 - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I really hate to watch those collisions at the plate. Glad he survived with minor effects. But the consensus is correct. If you block the plate, you leave that guy little choice. A catcher has the toughest job on the field already. They all get beaten down soon enough. They need to teach them not to seek out these collisions. Besides, it’s the rules.

4. andreweac - Aug 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Only a bruise? Wow, dude has a lot of grit.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2560)