Aug 8, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
It looked scary and he had to go to the hospital for X-rays, but Dioner can consider himself lucky:
Dioner Navarro‘s x-rays were negative. It is being treated as a contusion (bruise).
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) August 8, 2013
Following up on all of that, Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com asked Cubs players and manager Dale Sveum what they thought of the play. They’re pretty much of the opinion that “it’s baseball” and don’t think Chase Utley‘s hit on Navarro was dirty.
These plays suck for everyone involved. Ideally catchers don’t block the plate before they have the ball. They’re technically not allowed to anyway, but that rule is ignored 100% of the time. But there’s a reason for that rule beyond mere fair play for the runner. Blocking the plate without the ball, by necessity, means you’re not looking at the runner and are probably not bracing for any kind of collision. You’re a sitting duck, basically, by your own design.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)