Aug 8, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Jaime Garcia is out for the season following May shoulder surgery, but the Cardinals left-hander has progressed enough in his recovery to resume throwing soon.
Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Garcia hopes to start throwing in two weeks and possibly advance to bullpen sessions by the end of the season.
That gives him a full offseason to build back his arm strength and Garcia indicated that he might even ask the Cardinals to let him play winter ball, although it seems hard to imagine they’d approve. He’s signed through at least 2015 and under team control through 2017 as part of a $27 million extension.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)