Aug 8, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Jaime Garcia is out for the season following May shoulder surgery, but the Cardinals left-hander has progressed enough in his recovery to resume throwing soon.
Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Garcia hopes to start throwing in two weeks and possibly advance to bullpen sessions by the end of the season.
That gives him a full offseason to build back his arm strength and Garcia indicated that he might even ask the Cardinals to let him play winter ball, although it seems hard to imagine they’d approve. He’s signed through at least 2015 and under team control through 2017 as part of a $27 million extension.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)