Aug 8, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: I missed this, but apparently Pearlman wrote this up a couple of days ago.
Jeff Pearlman went on Brian Kenny’s radio show this morning and he took the retro-PED-discipline craze to new heights. He’s not just content to give Alex Rodriguez discipline mulitple-times greater than the sanctions currently in place call for, but he wants to go back and penalize Mark McGwire for taking PEDs 15 years ago when he broke Roger Maris’ home run record. The form of the discipline: fire him from his current job as Dodgers’ hitting coach and ban him from baseball.
Keep in mind, of course, that McGwire retired two years before there even was drug testing in baseball.
So why the ban? Because he “did some amazing damage … to the record book.” He broke a “sacred, sacred” record. And he was kind of a jerk to the media. Really. “He was not exactly the most gracious guy that summer … he was a pain to deal with.” That’s the argument.
Kenny didn’t go there, but I’m curious if he would ban all players ever associated with PEDs from the game or just the ones who broke records and weren’t nice to reporters. Whether this is about the ethics of cheating or merely the ethics of cheating in such a way as to make reporters feel foolish after the fact.
Give a listen:
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 2
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 54
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 63
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)