Aug 8, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
The Giants are in last place in the NL West and are playing some ugly baseball lately. Madison Bumgarner was unable to play the “we just got to play them one game at a time” game after last night’s dispiriting loss to the Brewers. First, he described a misplayed bunt thusly:
“The bunt had dropped back to me and we had a chance to get him at third. I come up to throw and the guy’s not on the base,” Bumgarner said.
“The guy” being Pablo Sandoval who broke in to get the bunt but then was late getting back to the bag for Bumgarner’s throw. Yes, he is describing the play accurately, but it’s not common to see a player actually point the finger at a teammate like that.
Bumgarner had a general negative take too. From Hank Schulman’s gamer:
Madison Bumgarner was asked if he thought a team so used to success might be checking out mentally now that loss after loss has knocked them so far out of contention.
“Sometimes, yeah, I do,” Bumgarner said. “It seems like it some days we come in here, and some days it doesn’t.”
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)