Aug 8, 2013, 9:14 AM EST
The Giants are in last place in the NL West and are playing some ugly baseball lately. Madison Bumgarner was unable to play the “we just got to play them one game at a time” game after last night’s dispiriting loss to the Brewers. First, he described a misplayed bunt thusly:
“The bunt had dropped back to me and we had a chance to get him at third. I come up to throw and the guy’s not on the base,” Bumgarner said.
“The guy” being Pablo Sandoval who broke in to get the bunt but then was late getting back to the bag for Bumgarner’s throw. Yes, he is describing the play accurately, but it’s not common to see a player actually point the finger at a teammate like that.
Bumgarner had a general negative take too. From Hank Schulman’s gamer:
Madison Bumgarner was asked if he thought a team so used to success might be checking out mentally now that loss after loss has knocked them so far out of contention.
“Sometimes, yeah, I do,” Bumgarner said. “It seems like it some days we come in here, and some days it doesn’t.”
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 20
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)