Aug 8, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
The Giants are in last place in the NL West and are playing some ugly baseball lately. Madison Bumgarner was unable to play the “we just got to play them one game at a time” game after last night’s dispiriting loss to the Brewers. First, he described a misplayed bunt thusly:
“The bunt had dropped back to me and we had a chance to get him at third. I come up to throw and the guy’s not on the base,” Bumgarner said.
“The guy” being Pablo Sandoval who broke in to get the bunt but then was late getting back to the bag for Bumgarner’s throw. Yes, he is describing the play accurately, but it’s not common to see a player actually point the finger at a teammate like that.
Bumgarner had a general negative take too. From Hank Schulman’s gamer:
Madison Bumgarner was asked if he thought a team so used to success might be checking out mentally now that loss after loss has knocked them so far out of contention.
“Sometimes, yeah, I do,” Bumgarner said. “It seems like it some days we come in here, and some days it doesn’t.”
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 74
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)