Aug 8, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
The Giants are in last place in the NL West and are playing some ugly baseball lately. Madison Bumgarner was unable to play the “we just got to play them one game at a time” game after last night’s dispiriting loss to the Brewers. First, he described a misplayed bunt thusly:
“The bunt had dropped back to me and we had a chance to get him at third. I come up to throw and the guy’s not on the base,” Bumgarner said.
“The guy” being Pablo Sandoval who broke in to get the bunt but then was late getting back to the bag for Bumgarner’s throw. Yes, he is describing the play accurately, but it’s not common to see a player actually point the finger at a teammate like that.
Bumgarner had a general negative take too. From Hank Schulman’s gamer:
Madison Bumgarner was asked if he thought a team so used to success might be checking out mentally now that loss after loss has knocked them so far out of contention.
“Sometimes, yeah, I do,” Bumgarner said. “It seems like it some days we come in here, and some days it doesn’t.”
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)