Matt Williams is a potential Davey Johnson replacement in Washington

Aug 8, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT

Matt Williams AP

Davey Johnson isn’t gone yet — the calls for his head notwithstanding — but he has said he is going to step down at the end of this season and that means a replacement is needed. Jon Heyman hears that Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams is a possibility.

It makes sense in the way that a lot of managerial hires make sense: he’s a known quantity to Mike Rizzo, as they worked together when Rizzo was the Dbacks’ scouting director. He’s part of Kirk Gibson’s “no nonesense” regime in Arizona which contrasts with Davey Johnson’s more laid back style, be it perceived or genuine. It’s the sort of managerial hire you might expect.

Whether it would be a good hire is another matter. But we have several months until that topic needs to be assessed.

1. moonlandingwasfaked - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

And let us not forget that his wife Erika was on the wonderful VH1 vehicle “Baseball Wives.” Here’s to hoping for another season – with or without Anna Benson. Actually, no – it just wouldn’t be the same without Anna. Bring your bulletproof vests, ladies!

• Caught Looking - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Erika has her take on what actually happened and her involvement in the show:

• cohnjusack - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Sorry, I stopped reading at “moon landing was faked”. I’m assuming this is just three sentences on the greatness of Lyndon LaRouche and be done with it.

• moonlandingwasfaked - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Well, thanks for taking the time to make a really insightful comment all the same.

2. Arods Other Doctor - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I think it is kind of hard to project someone in a role they’ve never had before. So he’s a known quantity in terms of who he is as a person, maybe, but who knows what approach he would take as a manager? Personally, I think he’s a self-absorbed jerk and he would be a massive failure but I could be wrong.

I think the Nats have a good enough roster that they should be looking at more of a known quantity to win now.

3. moonlandingwasfaked - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Perhaps Nyjer Morgan will get a contract with another MLB team and make his long awaited return from Japan to the big leagues, thus cementing the absolute necessity of a second season of “Baseball Wives” so Nyjer can reunite with his unwedded-flame-of-yore Jordana Lenz. And Chantel Kendall, picking up the pieces, can get her revenge on Erika for calling her the “bottom of the barrel.” This is really important stuff, guys.

4. nsauser - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I’m a Braves fan but, this kind of stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way. Johnson is still the manager of the team and the media is choosing his replacement? Yea, welcome to the real world.

• madhatternalice - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Normally, I’d agree with you, but since Johnson has already said he’s gone at the end of the season, and it ain’t exactly like the Nats are storming into the post-season, I’m OK with this…

• nsauser - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Well that’s ok! I also had something floating around in my head where I had heard he might not be manager after the year because he was essentially a short-term option post-Riggleman.

5. braddavery - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Matt Williams was on the Mitchell Report and admitted to using HGH. I wonder if Jeff Pearlman wants him banned from baseball too.

• Reflex - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I was just thinking that. Why single out McGwire? Williams was a user too…

6. brazcubas - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Grititude!

• duvisited - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Clearly the first step in bringing the Diamondbacks Way to Washington would have to be getting rid of lazy malingerers like Stephen Strasburg. The guy didn’t even bother finishing last season!

7. hildezero - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM

This actually makes sense for both teams, especially for the D-backs. The media here are talking about possibly replacing him as third base coach, because he’s done some mistakes in this season.

8. cohnjusack - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

In an effort to not be complete hypocrites, I’m sure everyone who criticized the Cardinals/Dodgers for hiring McGwire will be all over the Nationals if they hire Matt Williams. I mean, this is even worse than McGwire because he may be the full on manager, not just a lowly hitting coach.

• cohnjusack - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

…oh, and of course Matt Williams never went on national TV and apologized for it either. Come on’ hate mob, let er’ rip!

9. koufaxmitzvah - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I tell ya what, Cohn, as a Dodger fan, I happen have a special, deep seated anger towards Mr. Baldy McBaldalot, if you know what I mean.

No Giants deserve managerial jobs. Ever.

10. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I really enjoyed Matt Williams during his brief stint playing with the Indians. Great player, always seemed to be having a good time, and still the only player I’ve seen pull off the hidden ball trick live.

11. hoopmatch - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’d like to recommend that the Nationals bring back Jim Riggleman. And having said that, I’ve never been happier that the thumbs up and thumbs down have been disabled on this blog.

12. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Conversation with Ted Lerner, Mike Rizzo and Davey Johnson

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3527)