Aug 8, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Davey Johnson isn’t gone yet — the calls for his head notwithstanding — but he has said he is going to step down at the end of this season and that means a replacement is needed. Jon Heyman hears that Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams is a possibility.
It makes sense in the way that a lot of managerial hires make sense: he’s a known quantity to Mike Rizzo, as they worked together when Rizzo was the Dbacks’ scouting director. He’s part of Kirk Gibson’s “no nonesense” regime in Arizona which contrasts with Davey Johnson’s more laid back style, be it perceived or genuine. It’s the sort of managerial hire you might expect.
Whether it would be a good hire is another matter. But we have several months until that topic needs to be assessed.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)