Aug 8, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Davey Johnson isn’t gone yet — the calls for his head notwithstanding — but he has said he is going to step down at the end of this season and that means a replacement is needed. Jon Heyman hears that Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams is a possibility.
It makes sense in the way that a lot of managerial hires make sense: he’s a known quantity to Mike Rizzo, as they worked together when Rizzo was the Dbacks’ scouting director. He’s part of Kirk Gibson’s “no nonesense” regime in Arizona which contrasts with Davey Johnson’s more laid back style, be it perceived or genuine. It’s the sort of managerial hire you might expect.
Whether it would be a good hire is another matter. But we have several months until that topic needs to be assessed.
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 0
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 2
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 35
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)