Aug 8, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Davey Johnson isn’t gone yet — the calls for his head notwithstanding — but he has said he is going to step down at the end of this season and that means a replacement is needed. Jon Heyman hears that Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams is a possibility.
It makes sense in the way that a lot of managerial hires make sense: he’s a known quantity to Mike Rizzo, as they worked together when Rizzo was the Dbacks’ scouting director. He’s part of Kirk Gibson’s “no nonesense” regime in Arizona which contrasts with Davey Johnson’s more laid back style, be it perceived or genuine. It’s the sort of managerial hire you might expect.
Whether it would be a good hire is another matter. But we have several months until that topic needs to be assessed.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)