Aug 8, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Davey Johnson isn’t gone yet — the calls for his head notwithstanding — but he has said he is going to step down at the end of this season and that means a replacement is needed. Jon Heyman hears that Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams is a possibility.
It makes sense in the way that a lot of managerial hires make sense: he’s a known quantity to Mike Rizzo, as they worked together when Rizzo was the Dbacks’ scouting director. He’s part of Kirk Gibson’s “no nonesense” regime in Arizona which contrasts with Davey Johnson’s more laid back style, be it perceived or genuine. It’s the sort of managerial hire you might expect.
Whether it would be a good hire is another matter. But we have several months until that topic needs to be assessed.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 141
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (153)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)