Aug 8, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Just before the July 31 trade deadline the Pirates were said to be close to acquiring Alex Rios from the White Sox, but that deal fizzled and now like most players this month Rios was placed on waivers.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Rangers were awarded the waiver claim on Rios, which means if the White Sox are going to trade him Texas is now the only option. They can also simply pull Rios back and keep him.
Rios makes sense for the Rangers with Lance Berkman still on the disabled list and Nelson Cruz suspended for the remainder of the season. He’s a good defensive right fielder who’s hitting .277 with 12 homers, 26 steals, and a .749 OPS to basically match his career numbers at age 32.
Rios is owed about $4 million for the rest of the this season and is under contract for $12.5 million next year, plus a $13.5 million option or $1 million buyout for 2015. So if the Rangers think he’s worth that money he’d be more than a stretch-run pickup, giving them a longer-term replacement for Cruz in right field.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)