Remembering the first night game in Wrigley Field history

Aug 8, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT

I remember it. Watched it start too. Then watched it get rained out, so it technically didn’t count. Oh well, that’s history for you. Here’s some more history of it via Chris Jaffe of the Hardball Times, talking about how they finally got lights at Wrigley and what happened in the game that never officially happened. Including an appearance by Morganna the Kissing Bandit.

Also history: a video artifact of that game courtesy of MLB Productions: a “Scrooged”-era Bill Murray in the booth with Harry Caray:

1. bfunk1978 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

“My mother is of the booze and she’s really well, she’s dong great.”

Did I hear that right?

• yahmule - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Off the booze. The old girl has been on and off the wagon more times than Walter Brennan.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Oh, hmm. Looks like she died a few months later.

2. heyblueyoustink - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

” I remember it. Watched it start too. Then watched it get rained out, so it technically didn’t count. Oh well, that’s history for you.”

Lesson learned. I will only perform crimes on days where it rains heavily.

3. dickclydesdale - Aug 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Stupid jogoff that wrote this paragraph of a wannabe article. How about you include the date that the 1st night game was? you stupid jackoff!

• moogro - Aug 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Harry did blather 8-8-88 in the video, and it was the first line in Jaffe’s column, but I agree, HBT doesn’t make it easy to one-click shop on a slow cell phone for info often.

4. nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Slightly off-topic I suppose, but the first night game at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn was arguably even more memorable: Johnny Vander Meer pitched his second straight no-hitter.

• amuccigr - Aug 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I was going to leave this same comment just for kicks. My grandfather was at that game and liked to remind us often of it significance.

5. tfilarski - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM

first official game 8-9-88!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3221)