Aug 8, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Shelby Miller left his start last night against the Dodgers after he was struck in the right elbow by a comebacker off the bat of Carl Crawford in the first inning, but it looks like the Cardinals dodged a bullet.
While Miller suffered an elbow contusion as the result of being hit, he told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch today that he doesn’t expect to miss a start. In fact, he said he feels better today than if he had made it through his start like normal.
Assuming no setbacks, Miller will be ready to start in a big series against the first-place Pirates next week in St. Louis. As Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com notes, the Cardinals are arranging their rotation against the Cubs this weekend so that ace Adam Wainwright will open the series against the Bucs. That should be a lot of fun.
Miller, 22, is 11-7 with a 2.89 ERA and 132/35 K/BB ratio over 121 innings in his rookie season.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)