Aug 8, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
Sad news to pass along courtesy of our friends at Yahoo! Sports. Joshua Jones, the young fan who was be befriended by Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp earlier this year, has passed away following a battle with brain cancer. He was just 19 years old.
It was hard not to be touched when Kemp gave Jones his jersey, hat and cleats following a game in San Francisco on May 5. Video of the good deed quickly went viral.
Kemp’s relationship with Jones didn’t end there. Later that month, he flew Jones and his family from Oakland to see a Dodgers game in Los Angeles, during which he had the opportunity to meet other stars, including Angels outfielder Mike Trout and Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw.
Laelah Quintor, Jones’ aunt on his mother’s side, told Yahoo! Sports that the generosity from Kemp and others gave the teen “hope again.”
This story — like Bryce Harper‘s 13-year-old friend, Gavin Rupp — unfortunately has a sad ending, but Kemp deserves credit for taking a few minutes of his time to make someone’s day. It’s just a reminder of how powerful playing a kid’s game can be. RIP, Joshua.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)