Aug 8, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
Jim Leyland’s club are doing their best to make sure there will be no September drama in the American League Central this year.
The Tigers notched their 12th consecutive victory tonight with a 10-3 win over the Indians at Progressive Field. It wrapped up a four-game sweep of Cleveland and extended their lead to seven games in the division.
Detroit scored six runs in the third inning, chasing Indians’ starter Zach McAllister from the ballgame. They added two more in the fourth and fifth innings, which was more than enough for Max Scherzer, who gave up two runs over seven innings to improve to 17-1 on the year. Yes, wins aren’t everything, but consider that no other pitcher in MLB has more than 14 of them right now. With a 2.84 ERA and 175 strikeouts over 158 1/3 innings, Scherzer is looking like the early leader in the clubhouse for the AL Cy Young Award.
The Indians had designs on making their move in the AL Central this week, but they were so thoroughly beaten down that Indians manager Terry Francona let position player Ryan Raburn pitch the ninth inning tonight. He actually delivered a 1-2-3 inning, including a swinging strikeout of Matt Tuiasosopo, but that was a minor highlight in an otherwise disappointing week for Cleveland.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)