A-Rod hires the private detectives who helped Dominique Strauss-Kahn beat the rap

Aug 9, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT

New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez speaks during a news conference in Chicago Reuters

A-Rod is sparing no expense preparing for his appeal:

In his ongoing battle to salvage his reputation and big-league career, Alex Rodriguez has hired the same private-investigation firm Dominique Strauss-Kahn used to successfully contest a 2011 rape allegation … A-Rod must surely be hoping the pricey P.I.’s at Guidepost can deliver the same kind of results they did for DSK. Amid an international media frenzy, the Guidepost investigators were able to quickly obtain damaging information about Strauss-Kahn’s complainant, Nafissatou Diallo. Prosecutors dropped all charges against the former International Monetary Fund chief soon after.

Perhaps this works for A-Rod. Or perhaps this is just a gambit to get people to compare him to Dominique Strauss-Kahn so as to put A-Rod in a better light given how monumental a sleazeball Strauss-Kahn is.

1. dondada10 - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

It’s not going to happen, but if somehow A-Rod is cleared and doesn’t serve a suspension I think HBT will crumble under the weight of A-Rod posts and comments.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Exactly what are these detectives supposed to do?

2. Shafer's Dealer - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I don’t care. – Lloyd Christmas

3. Old Gator - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Strauss-Kahn has nothing on A-roid. A-roid is history’s greatest monster. Strauss-Kahn was a flash in the pan.

• historiophiliac - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

In other news, the Rays recall Josh Lueke. Maybe they could dig up some dirt on him.

• cofran2004 - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Yes. A guy who injected HIMSELF is worse than someone who raped someone. Good call.

Tool.

• Old Gator - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Took that seriously, eh? Not very bright, are you?

• cofran2004 - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

i saw no sarc mark. not that such a thing exists, and i’ve seen far worse from people being serious. forgive me for questioning the sanity of someone on the internet…

• raysfan1 - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You missed OG’s sarcasm font.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

The police let Strauss Kahn go but he paid a six figure settlement to the maid.
      Maybe these detectives will get Rodriguez to pay an 8 figure settlement to MLB?

• pjmarn6 - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Nice to know that Craig Calcaterra has such thin skin he has to delete comments to save face.

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Thank God – this was going wasn’t odd enough already

• historiophiliac - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

So my buddy and I were having this text debate today: Porcello is pitching for us tonight and he has a lot of HBP’s. What if he hits A-Rod? Is there a bench-clearing in NY or will his teammates just shrug? How intentional would it have to be for the other Yanks to charge the field for him? Or, could we basically get away with anything short of head-hunting when it comes to him?

• dondada10 - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM

If A-Rod is beamed, and it’s intentional, I do think the benches would “clear.” I say it parenthetically because all the teams would do is peacock and posture.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I think both teams should charge the mound if Porcello misses him.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My money is on a good beaning does not clear the benches. Up at the head – then of course. But a good on in the rear plexus….too bad A-Rod. You’re on your own

• vivabear - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM

“If A-Rod is beamed”

Is he joing the crew of the USS Enterprise?

• historiophiliac - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Yes, vivabear, and he’s the guy wearing the red shirt.

• vivabear - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Does that refer to him being medical personnel or him dying?

• buffal0sportsfan - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Let’s ask Kevin Youkilis what he thinks.

• badintent - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:48 AM

you saw Arodless take one for the team in the 2009 WS. Smack in the back on the spine.He didn’t charge the mound , no Hollywood bimbo waiting for him.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Would that be the only way for Rodriguez to get on base?

5. 161andriver - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Ahhhh, the old “at least I didn’t rape anybody” defense. This is a shrewd move by Alex, because… he probably didn’t rape anybody.

• dondada10 - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Love the name. Are you from the Bronx? I’m from the Woodlawn area.

• 161andriver - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Nope, I’m from upstate. Just a very big fan of that address.

• dondada10 - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Yeah it’s great. The Citi Field equivalent is “Behind the Chop Shops.”

I went to school at Syracuse.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Best back and forth, ever.

6. papazoid - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Aroid = scum

• jimeejohnson - Aug 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Jeffrey Dahmer = scum.

7. klownboy - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Y’all know that Bud Selig is pissed about all this. And to that, I chuckle because Selig and the owners were in bed with the steroid users since the strike ended. Remember that “memorable” summer of 1998 with McGwire and Sosa? Yeah, Selig knew…

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Going to bed with steroid users must be a lot of fun. Don’t worry, this happens all the time. No, I think your gonads are definitely bigger than raisins. You know what, let’s do something else.

8. chacochicken - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Guidepost? What kind of name is that? I strictly use Pinkerton men for my strike busting and rape dodging. I feel like Alex needs to somehow get the new pope on his side.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM

That’s a good one…really, it is.

9. thinkfirstthenspeak - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

This has an “I am going to search for the real steroid users” feel to it.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

please find some excellent dirt on Bud….PLEASE find some excellent dirt on Bud!!

• chacochicken - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You didn’t hear this from me but he makes his hookers lay down in a bathtub full of ice and refuses to let them speak or move until its over.

• historiophiliac - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Mmmm, cold chicken.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Cold chicken? I was thinking ‘lettuce.’

• chacochicken - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

That’s my gal.

• anxovies - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Maybe they can do a black bag job and steal that toupee.

11. thegonz13 - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Well, he IS fighting for his life…

12. rcali - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

As much as most of us understand why we think he’s a complete douche, I really want the Yankees to have to pay out that contract. 4 more years of getting about 50-60 games out of him, and unproductive ones at that.

2013: $28 million, 2014: $25 million, 2015: $21 million, 2016: $20 million, 2017: $20 million,

13. makeham98 - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

This is more about the value of money in the legal system. If I needed a lawyer and could afford it, I would have hired Johnny Cochran if I thought he could beat the rap.

I’m so sure that no one else would, right?

14. nbjays - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Maybe these Guidepost investigators can “obtain damaging information” on Selig. Perhaps reveal that Smug Bud did some really sleazy, underhanded things, maybe something totally reprehensible like turning a blind eye to rampant steroid use in the late ’90s, or something evil like creating a ridiculous rule about the All-Star Game winning league getting WS home firld advantage, or something dastardly like polluting the postseason with layer upon layer of useless Wild Card crap. You know, with a little digging, maybe they can make him out to be a slimeball.

15. thebigtim2012 - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I don’t see how digging up dirt on bus would help with an independent arbitrator. You know the whole independent thing an all. And dirt on tony Bosch? That dude is nothing but dirt even Harry crumb could get the mulch on that scumbag. I don’t really see how these guys could help but I do hope he spends himself into the poor box trying to beat the wrap. Very unlikely he could do it thanks to the rangers and Yankees but I can hope.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Thought you meant the DirtyHarry whose posts we ignore.

16. vinnyboborinostein - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

AND the media. “We all agree – everyone is tired of Alex Rodriquez”.they write. Well, if you (media) attempted to write about something else other than A-Rod maybe we would forget about him. I would really like it if the media stopped writing so much about that whacked out clown. Wow! What a bunch of idiots.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet