Aug 9, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Good night, sweet prince.
They signed him to an incentive-laden deal, paid him to lose weight, waited for him to recover from ankle surgery, and then handed him the starting job in right field. And now the Phillies have designated Delmon Young for assignment after he hit .261 with eight homers and a .699 OPS in 80 games while playing his usual awful defense.
Young is still just 27 years old, but he’s been an above-average hitter for a corner outfielder exactly once in seven full seasons and is bad enough defensively that his best position is designated hitter. And since a supposed “breakout” season with the Twins in 2010 he’s hit a combined .266 with a .299 on-base percentage and .402 slugging percentage in 355 games, striking out 266 times compared to 57 walks in 1,402 plate appearances.
While in Philadelphia for the SABR convention last week I went to Friday night’s Phillies-Braves game and saw Young go 3-for-4 with a homer that landed about 10 feet from my spot in right field. He then went 1-for-15 with eight strikeouts in his next five games, which means I can officially say that I was there for Young’s last homer with the Phillies. Some things are just meant to be.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)