Evan Longoria thinks it’s unfair that A-Rod gets to play pending his appeal

Aug 9, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT

evan longoria getty Getty Images

Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was on SI’s Hot Clicks podcast and was asked about Alex Rodriguez‘s suspension. He opined that, in general, 50 games is insufficient for PED cheats. He’s obviously not alone in that, and it wouldn’t be at all surprising if MLB and the union revisited the PED penalty rubric soon.

But he is also upset that A-Rod’s appeal is taking so long to happen and that, in the meantime, Rodriguez will get to play:

“I don’t know what his motivation is, but I will say this: I don’t think it’s fair for the other teams because I’m in the American League East. Whether he is 100 percent or not, whether his mind is where it needs to be or not, he can affect the game in a positive way, he can affect the game in a tremendous way, which is being in the lineup. In a pennant race, he’s a guy you don’t want in the lineup. Looking at it from that perspective and that perspective only, I don’t think it’s fair that we can’t have an arbitrator hear the case sooner.”

It’s a tough case with lots of witnesses and evidence so I’m not sure how, given that the decision came down just the other day, baseball could hold the arbitration any sooner. Now, if Longoria is less upset about the timing than he is about the fact that a guy can play pending appeal, he’ll have to take that up with his union. I feel like once he did he’d change his public stance on that.

As for the Yankees advantage: I feel like it’s nothing the Ray need to worry too much about.

1. heyblueyoustink - Aug 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

But snaking in on your girlfriend when you’re not looking? Longo says that’s totally cool.

2. krypticking - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

All I hear about it is PEDs anymore… It’s what makes the world go around, I guess

• Glenn - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I’m starting to look back longingly at the days when sports media was just all about contracts and salaries. That was the Golden Age that came right after all those silly “on the field performance” stories of our father’s and grandfather’s time.

3. alang3131982 - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I dont recall Longo speaking out when Joel Peralta appealed his suspension and played…..

• Detroit Michael - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It’s not a comparable situation. Those ordinary disciplinary suspensions aren’t postponed two months until after the season ends.

• alang3131982 - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

It’s entirely a comparable situation. Both players were caught cheating. Both players, within their right, decided to appeal that decision, which is a collectively bargained right. Also, those suspensions take an inordinate amount of time based on travel schedules and proximity to New York City.

Both players have a right to appeal a suspension. It’s up to MLB to do so in a timely manner. The fact that they went for 211 games versus 50 or 100 is what is potentially elongating the appeals process.

4. Glenn - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Doesn’t Longoria realize that any of the suspended players could have appealed and kept playing? I’m not sure that he understands due process.

• moogro - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Evan just got done watching Judge Roy Bean.

• Old Gator - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Sounds more like he just got done watching The Ox Bow Incident.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM

sounds like someone needs a diaper changed in the old folks home

• Old Gator - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Oh look! Someone just woke up Poor Dim One Note Harry. Had a nice nap – or was that just another synapse too far apart for an impulse to skip?

• giantsninerswarriors - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Final score: Old Gator 1, Poor Dim One Note Harry 0.

• scotttheskeptic - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Glenn, careful, a lot of commenters demonstrated earlier this week that they do not understand due process.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Fucking Christ, Glenn – first you credulously believe in the thumbs and slag the puns and now you mistake due process for a grievance mechanism in a collectively bargained agreement. Things move too fast here for you to just stop in the middle of traffic. Keep it moving.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

What happened in your life that turned you into such a miserable loser who feels the need to act like a pompous douchebag and blow a gasket or two everyone someone disagrees with you on here?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM

What happened in your head that you can’t finish a sentence or a thought or even read an article to the end? See – some things are just mysteries babyfucker.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

What went wrong in your petri dish and test tube that you roll in here just to troll Craig and natslady and me?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

A self described troll just asked this. I’m speechless…

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

And yet he’s still not banned

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM

And you’re still a fucking moron – you really can’t fix stupid.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You should up your medication. It’s not working.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Same stupid guy – same lame dig. Get new material and Get Fucked.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Personality disorder is no joke. Lots of angry internet tough guys suffer from it.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Does your mommy know that you use her computer late at night? I hope you at least clear the cache when you’re done so she doesn’t have to wake up and see what Mr. Lonely beats off too. You sick little monkey, you. If you keep trolling me I’ll tell everyone here and in your sad little town what’s in your cache, freak.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:26 AM

BTW I worked with little fellas like you a long time ago and I never make fun of peoples’ mental disorders. Unless of course those mental disorders prompt that little fella to go talking all kinds of non-baseball related shit to total strangers. I make fun of you for that.

You remind me of an obnoxious stupid kid I broke the same 2 fingers on 2 different times. But at least he earned my respect by having the courage to stand there and take his beating. You don’t have any of that, and now I feel very sorry for you. If you think what you’re doing is any kind of good or brave you should just go straight out to a bar and slap the biggest meanest looking guy there. If you can’t do that you should probably stop typing your little internet love notes. Everyone who reads them thinks less of you.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

BUHAHAHAHAHA INTERNET TOUGH GUY

I BROKE TWO FINGERS OF A GUY……
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

What a massive predictable tool you are, HAHAHAHAHAHA

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Funny thing about that kid – I ended up being friends with him because he had guts. Courage is to be admired.

You on the other hand have nothing – no wit, no fandom, no guts. You got nothing. Enjoy that.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Your common & pathetic angry internet tough guy routine is all the enjoyment anyone ever needs.

You’re reverse trolling me, but you don’t know it

• Glenn - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Unc – I would recommend a laxative or a prostitute – male or female – whatever works for you. Actually, I would recommend both at the same time.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM

No to both – but enjoy your double purgative.

5. 18thstreet - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I hope this first paragraph is factually correct.

I just feel like things are done in the wrong order. There’s no (equivalent of) a trial. There’s just MLB handing down suspensions and THEN the players get to plead their cases. This is also true when they’re suspended for throwing at batters, right? I mean, it would be best if the players were able to contest the charges against them and then have MLB hand down a suspension — BEFORE the punishment was announced. And they could do the investigations via conference calls instead of waiting for the players to visit New York City.

The whole system makes no sense to me.

• bravojawja - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Interesting point. The drug suspensions are all appealed and settled before being publicly announced (unless you’re Ryan Braun), so why not suspensions for fisticuffsmanship and phone abuse?

I don’t have a problem with the order of the process itself — it’s hard to appeal something that hasn’t happened yet — but nothing should be announced to the public until the final gavel comes down.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I’m sure the difference is that the fisticuffsmanship (holy crap that’s a cool word) and phone abuse are seen in public, so the MLB can talk about them publicly.

• clemente2 - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Penalty first, then appeal if you want, is a common feature of collectively bargained grievance procedures. The assumption is the employer has the authority to discipline, but the employee gets the right to object if the employee believes the discipline is improper (factually, procedurally). It is not a trial process.

• 18thstreet - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Thank you, Clemente2.

6. mcsuave - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Has to have due process. If MLB suspends the alleged offender, they are responsible for paying his salary if the offender wins his case. Rodriguez salary for 214 games is approx. 30 million. That’s a hellava gamble when you look at the amount of steroid cheats.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I agree with Evan, he shouldn’t get to play and the appeal process should be much much quicker

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

That means something coming from you. What exactly, I’ve no idea. But something.

• Old Gator - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM

No it doesn’t.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM

It could mean that Harry had one rational thought in his mind but it died of loneliness.

8. theskinsman - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Such a great advantage for the Yankees…..if you happen to be snake-bit Toronto.The other teams have forgotten the yanks this season.

• lazlosother - Aug 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Ouch, good sir. As a Yankee fan I am offended. Not at your comment, but at the fact that it’s accurate.

9. theskinsman - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM

As an admitted old timer and Red Sox fan, these opportunities come along so rarely,they must be savored.

10. jdillydawg - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Longoria says it’s unfair to let him play while he appeals because he might get his ass kicked if he has to play against him.

Never mind the other 11 guys that got suspended, aren’t playing, and if they appealed, probably still wouldn’t be playing.

Sounds fair to me. MLB’s handling of this whole situation is ridiculous. Go Bud.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4026)