Aug 9, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was on SI’s Hot Clicks podcast and was asked about Alex Rodriguez‘s suspension. He opined that, in general, 50 games is insufficient for PED cheats. He’s obviously not alone in that, and it wouldn’t be at all surprising if MLB and the union revisited the PED penalty rubric soon.
But he is also upset that A-Rod’s appeal is taking so long to happen and that, in the meantime, Rodriguez will get to play:
“I don’t know what his motivation is, but I will say this: I don’t think it’s fair for the other teams because I’m in the American League East. Whether he is 100 percent or not, whether his mind is where it needs to be or not, he can affect the game in a positive way, he can affect the game in a tremendous way, which is being in the lineup. In a pennant race, he’s a guy you don’t want in the lineup. Looking at it from that perspective and that perspective only, I don’t think it’s fair that we can’t have an arbitrator hear the case sooner.”
It’s a tough case with lots of witnesses and evidence so I’m not sure how, given that the decision came down just the other day, baseball could hold the arbitration any sooner. Now, if Longoria is less upset about the timing than he is about the fact that a guy can play pending appeal, he’ll have to take that up with his union. I feel like once he did he’d change his public stance on that.
As for the Yankees advantage: I feel like it’s nothing the Ray need to worry too much about.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)