Aug 9, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was on SI’s Hot Clicks podcast and was asked about Alex Rodriguez‘s suspension. He opined that, in general, 50 games is insufficient for PED cheats. He’s obviously not alone in that, and it wouldn’t be at all surprising if MLB and the union revisited the PED penalty rubric soon.
But he is also upset that A-Rod’s appeal is taking so long to happen and that, in the meantime, Rodriguez will get to play:
“I don’t know what his motivation is, but I will say this: I don’t think it’s fair for the other teams because I’m in the American League East. Whether he is 100 percent or not, whether his mind is where it needs to be or not, he can affect the game in a positive way, he can affect the game in a tremendous way, which is being in the lineup. In a pennant race, he’s a guy you don’t want in the lineup. Looking at it from that perspective and that perspective only, I don’t think it’s fair that we can’t have an arbitrator hear the case sooner.”
It’s a tough case with lots of witnesses and evidence so I’m not sure how, given that the decision came down just the other day, baseball could hold the arbitration any sooner. Now, if Longoria is less upset about the timing than he is about the fact that a guy can play pending appeal, he’ll have to take that up with his union. I feel like once he did he’d change his public stance on that.
As for the Yankees advantage: I feel like it’s nothing the Ray need to worry too much about.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)