Aug 9, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria was on SI’s Hot Clicks podcast and was asked about Alex Rodriguez‘s suspension. He opined that, in general, 50 games is insufficient for PED cheats. He’s obviously not alone in that, and it wouldn’t be at all surprising if MLB and the union revisited the PED penalty rubric soon.
But he is also upset that A-Rod’s appeal is taking so long to happen and that, in the meantime, Rodriguez will get to play:
“I don’t know what his motivation is, but I will say this: I don’t think it’s fair for the other teams because I’m in the American League East. Whether he is 100 percent or not, whether his mind is where it needs to be or not, he can affect the game in a positive way, he can affect the game in a tremendous way, which is being in the lineup. In a pennant race, he’s a guy you don’t want in the lineup. Looking at it from that perspective and that perspective only, I don’t think it’s fair that we can’t have an arbitrator hear the case sooner.”
It’s a tough case with lots of witnesses and evidence so I’m not sure how, given that the decision came down just the other day, baseball could hold the arbitration any sooner. Now, if Longoria is less upset about the timing than he is about the fact that a guy can play pending appeal, he’ll have to take that up with his union. I feel like once he did he’d change his public stance on that.
As for the Yankees advantage: I feel like it’s nothing the Ray need to worry too much about.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)