Aug 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
The Twins have had two managers in 27 years and have shown a willingness to stick with their boss whether times are good or times are bad. Could that be changing? Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune spoke to the Twins owner about Ron Gardenhire’s job security and wonders:
Meanwhile, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is without a contract after this year. Pohlad said Gardenhire’s status will be evaluated after the season. Is there any reason he won’t be back?
“Well, that’s Terry’s decision, but he’ll consult with all of us,” said Pohlad, who added that nothing has been decided.
It was interesting that Pohlad made it clear Ryan will be around in the future but refused to say the same about Gardenhire.
My thoughts about managers don’t change depending on what team it is: if management has confidence in the guy and he hasn’t lost the clubhouse there is little to think that he’s the biggest problem as opposed to the talent level. So, no, I don’t think deciding against giving Ron Gardenhire a contract for next year would be a real difference maker. But you do have to think that a lot of people in Minnesota feel differently about that.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)