Aug 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EST
The Twins have had two managers in 27 years and have shown a willingness to stick with their boss whether times are good or times are bad. Could that be changing? Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune spoke to the Twins owner about Ron Gardenhire’s job security and wonders:
Meanwhile, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is without a contract after this year. Pohlad said Gardenhire’s status will be evaluated after the season. Is there any reason he won’t be back?
“Well, that’s Terry’s decision, but he’ll consult with all of us,” said Pohlad, who added that nothing has been decided.
It was interesting that Pohlad made it clear Ryan will be around in the future but refused to say the same about Gardenhire.
My thoughts about managers don’t change depending on what team it is: if management has confidence in the guy and he hasn’t lost the clubhouse there is little to think that he’s the biggest problem as opposed to the talent level. So, no, I don’t think deciding against giving Ron Gardenhire a contract for next year would be a real difference maker. But you do have to think that a lot of people in Minnesota feel differently about that.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 0
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 21
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)