Aug 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
The Twins have had two managers in 27 years and have shown a willingness to stick with their boss whether times are good or times are bad. Could that be changing? Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune spoke to the Twins owner about Ron Gardenhire’s job security and wonders:
Meanwhile, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is without a contract after this year. Pohlad said Gardenhire’s status will be evaluated after the season. Is there any reason he won’t be back?
“Well, that’s Terry’s decision, but he’ll consult with all of us,” said Pohlad, who added that nothing has been decided.
It was interesting that Pohlad made it clear Ryan will be around in the future but refused to say the same about Gardenhire.
My thoughts about managers don’t change depending on what team it is: if management has confidence in the guy and he hasn’t lost the clubhouse there is little to think that he’s the biggest problem as opposed to the talent level. So, no, I don’t think deciding against giving Ron Gardenhire a contract for next year would be a real difference maker. But you do have to think that a lot of people in Minnesota feel differently about that.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)