Aug 9, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
The Twins have had two managers in 27 years and have shown a willingness to stick with their boss whether times are good or times are bad. Could that be changing? Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune spoke to the Twins owner about Ron Gardenhire’s job security and wonders:
Meanwhile, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is without a contract after this year. Pohlad said Gardenhire’s status will be evaluated after the season. Is there any reason he won’t be back?
“Well, that’s Terry’s decision, but he’ll consult with all of us,” said Pohlad, who added that nothing has been decided.
It was interesting that Pohlad made it clear Ryan will be around in the future but refused to say the same about Gardenhire.
My thoughts about managers don’t change depending on what team it is: if management has confidence in the guy and he hasn’t lost the clubhouse there is little to think that he’s the biggest problem as opposed to the talent level. So, no, I don’t think deciding against giving Ron Gardenhire a contract for next year would be a real difference maker. But you do have to think that a lot of people in Minnesota feel differently about that.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 76
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)