Aug 9, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
He was known as “Jack the Ripper” during his playing days because of his power hitting, and Jack Clark has come out swinging hard in his new sports-radio position. He has accused former Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols of using a performance enhancing drug.
Go read Dan Caesar’s column for the details, but the upshot is Clark saying “I know for a fact” that Pujols took PEDs because the trainer who used to work out with Pujols in Kansas City during the offseason “basically told me that’s what he did.”
The trainer, Chris Mihlfeld, was in the news several years ago when it was erroneously reported that he and Pujols appeared in an affidavit with information supplied by Jason Grimsley, who had been busted for PEDs. That turned out to not be the case.
As for these allegations? On the one hand they are, by definition, hearsay. And Clark’s later swipes at Justin Verlander and Shawn Green are pure b.s. which undermine him (he says Green had back acne and erroneously states that Verlander used to throw much harder than he does now). That said, hearsay gets a bad rap, but it isn’t nothing. And if we have learned anything in the past few years it’s that not all credible accusations of PED use are made by reputable and noble sources. Clark could be full of it. He also could be right.
Either way, Clark works in talk radio now and between this and his past comments doing broadcast work it is clear that he is one who likes to drop bombs and get attention. I presume he will be getting a lot more now.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)