Aug 9, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
He was known as “Jack the Ripper” during his playing days because of his power hitting, and Jack Clark has come out swinging hard in his new sports-radio position. He has accused former Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols of using a performance enhancing drug.
Go read Dan Caesar’s column for the details, but the upshot is Clark saying “I know for a fact” that Pujols took PEDs because the trainer who used to work out with Pujols in Kansas City during the offseason “basically told me that’s what he did.”
The trainer, Chris Mihlfeld, was in the news several years ago when it was erroneously reported that he and Pujols appeared in an affidavit with information supplied by Jason Grimsley, who had been busted for PEDs. That turned out to not be the case.
As for these allegations? On the one hand they are, by definition, hearsay. And Clark’s later swipes at Justin Verlander and Shawn Green are pure b.s. which undermine him (he says Green had back acne and erroneously states that Verlander used to throw much harder than he does now). That said, hearsay gets a bad rap, but it isn’t nothing. And if we have learned anything in the past few years it’s that not all credible accusations of PED use are made by reputable and noble sources. Clark could be full of it. He also could be right.
Either way, Clark works in talk radio now and between this and his past comments doing broadcast work it is clear that he is one who likes to drop bombs and get attention. I presume he will be getting a lot more now.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)