Aug 9, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Athletics outfielder Josh Reddick hitless in 22 plate appearances dating back to July 29. Blue Jays pitching must have been just what the doctor ordered because Reddick has exploded in a big way tonight.
In the top of the third, Reddick smoked a solo home run to left off of Jays starter Esmil Rogers. He hit another solo shot in the top of the fifth against reliever Neil Wagner. The third came in the top of the sixth, a three-run shot off of reliever Juan Perez. As of this writing, the A’s lead the Jays 12-3 entering the seventh.
After hitting 32 long balls last year, Reddick entered tonight with just five in 315 trips to the plate. He will have at least one more opportunity to go for his fourth homer of the night, a feat accomplished by just 16 players in baseball history. Josh Hamilton, now with the Angels, did it last year as a member of the Rangers on May 8 against the Orioles at Camden Yards.
Update: Reddick grounded out to second in the eighth. Unless the Athletics put together a heck of an offensive rally in the ninth, he won’t get another shot to go for #4. Nevertheless, Reddick has had a great night.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)