Aug 9, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Mark Cuban tried a couple of times to get into the MLB owners’ club. He was rebuffed in his initial efforts and then outbid when he had a chance to purchase the Rangers in a bankruptcy auction. After that he seemed to wash his hands of the idea of buying a baseball team.
But he’s still a bit bitter about his dalliances with MLB. Last night he went on “The Tonight Show” and the topic of Alex Rodriguez‘s suspension came up. Cuban, while acknowledging that A-Rod should be suspended, believes that MLB is changing the rules in midstream to give him too harsh a penalty. He went on to say that this is baseball’s M.O., as evidenced by how they treated him. And he didn’t mince words about it. Video below. Here’s the money quote, transcribed by The Honest Brew, who alerted me to all of this:
It’s basically become Bud Selig’s “mafia.” He runs it the way he wants to run it… When I was trying to buy the Rangers, it was an open auction. And I sat in there with my good hard-earned money trying to bid and they did everything possible to keep me from buying the team. They had lawyers in their trying to change the rules, they had people trying to put up more money… it was horrible!
I’ll defend MLB this much: the whole idea of an open auction is to get the most money, so the idea that they “had people trying to put up more money” comes off as a bit of a hollow complaint. Maybe there was a sense that the league was ganging up on him, I have no idea, but at the time Cuban was quoted as saying, basically, that he walked away from the auction because the money got too high for him.
The overall sentiment, though? Maybe “mafia” is too strong a word, but when you’re armed with an anti-trust exemption and your entire reign is built on the idea of building a consensus among mostly compliant owners, I have little doubt that Selig and his crew worked extra hard to make sure that Mark Cuban didn’t join the club.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 0
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 43
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 22
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 19
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (90)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)