Aug 9, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Neftali Feliz‘s recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery has moved to Triple-A, where the Rangers right-hander struggled yesterday in his first rehab appearance for Round Rock.
Feliz threw just 11 of 22 pitches for strikes, walking two and allowing a single before exiting with the bases loaded.
Todd Willis of ESPN Dallas reports that Feliz “struggled to command his pitches” and “his changeup also didn’t appear to be sharp.” However, his fastball was clocked at 92-93 miles per hour and that’s close enough to his pre-surgery velocity to be encouraged this early in the rehab process.
Texas has already mapped out his next four appearances between now and a week from Saturday, so Feliz won’t be rushed back to the majors.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)