Aug 9, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Texas has found a replacement right fielder for the suspended Nelson Cruz.
Yesterday we learned that the Rangers put in the winning waiver claim for Alex Rios, setting up a potential trade with the White Sox, and Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that the two sides have agreed to a deal.
Rios can’t replace Cruz’s power, but he’s a much better defender with 30-steal speed and has hit .277 with 12 homers and a .747 OPS in 109 games this season. He’s also signed for next year at $12.5 million with a $13.5 million option or $1 million buyout for 2015, so Rios is much more than just a stretch-run pickup for the Rangers.
According to Hayes the White Sox will receive a player to be named later or cash for Rios, which suggests they were mostly interested in shedding the remainder of his contract. There’s speculation that the PTBNL will eventually be revealed as Leury Garcia, a 22-year-old middle infielder who hasn’t hit much in the minors yet.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)