Aug 9, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Delmon Young was one of the easiest players to dislike in recent Philadelphia sports history. He had a memorable off-the-field incident involving alcohol and anti-Semitic remarks last year, he required weight clauses in his contract as incentive to stay in shape, he has been quite the unproductive player, and his arrival in Philadelphia was a direct result of GM Ruben Amaro’s decision to non-tender Nate Schierholtz, who eventually signed with the Cubs and had a great season.
Even after designating the outfielder for assignment, though, Amaro couldn’t help but praise Young:
Ruben said Delmon was “better than I imagined” in the clubhouse. Added that he thinks Delmon is a more productive player than he was here.
— Chris Branch (@ChrisBranchTNJ) August 9, 2013
Young’s clubhouse presence was incredibly useful on a team that was realistically out of playoff contention before the All-Star break and certainly after losing 13 of 15 games after the break. And Young is certainly better than his -1.2 WAR, via Baseball Reference, indicates. His WAR is a career-worst, exceeding last year’s 0.8 and ranks 606th out of 614 qualified position players in the National League.
The Delmon Young era ends in Philadelphia with the outfielder reaching four of six weight incentives at $100,000 each (via Matt Gelb), two roster time bonuses at $100,000 each (40 and 80 days), and one playing time bonus at $150,000 for reaching 250 plate appearances (he earned an immediate $250,000 for his first day on the active roster as well). All told, Young will get his $750,000 base salary plus an additional $900,000 in incentives.
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 2
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 22
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 22
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)