Aug 9, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Delmon Young was one of the easiest players to dislike in recent Philadelphia sports history. He had a memorable off-the-field incident involving alcohol and anti-Semitic remarks last year, he required weight clauses in his contract as incentive to stay in shape, he has been quite the unproductive player, and his arrival in Philadelphia was a direct result of GM Ruben Amaro’s decision to non-tender Nate Schierholtz, who eventually signed with the Cubs and had a great season.
Even after designating the outfielder for assignment, though, Amaro couldn’t help but praise Young:
Ruben said Delmon was “better than I imagined” in the clubhouse. Added that he thinks Delmon is a more productive player than he was here.
— Chris Branch (@ChrisBranchTNJ) August 9, 2013
Young’s clubhouse presence was incredibly useful on a team that was realistically out of playoff contention before the All-Star break and certainly after losing 13 of 15 games after the break. And Young is certainly better than his -1.2 WAR, via Baseball Reference, indicates. His WAR is a career-worst, exceeding last year’s 0.8 and ranks 606th out of 614 qualified position players in the National League.
The Delmon Young era ends in Philadelphia with the outfielder reaching four of six weight incentives at $100,000 each (via Matt Gelb), two roster time bonuses at $100,000 each (40 and 80 days), and one playing time bonus at $150,000 for reaching 250 plate appearances (he earned an immediate $250,000 for his first day on the active roster as well). All told, Young will get his $750,000 base salary plus an additional $900,000 in incentives.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)